Vintage, bargain buys easy spring style fixes

So, you lost an hour. That sounds a bit pessimistic. Let's try a different approach: You gained an extra hour of daylight! What are you going to do with your new hour of warm, brightly gleaming sunshine that has — surprisingly, yet thankfully — spread itself across Madison these past few days? Whether you spend it sprawled out across the newly visible grass or studying out by the lake (hopefully soon to be unfrozen), you have an extra hour to strut that colorful daytime composition of clothing!

As color once again begins to flood across our closets sending the darks and dulls packing, the question arises, "How can I update my wardrobe this season without completely throwing out last year's collection and last month's income?"

The answer is simple — become a little thing I like to call a "bargain hunter." OK, so I didn't exactly coin the term, but it truly is the best solution to the problem. In fact, the Style Network has an entire show dedicated to the practice called, "The Look for Less." The concept is really simple. Start by collecting tear sheets from various magazines that highlight the season's hottest looks, and head out to nearby vintage stores or Target-esque conglomerations to try and find a matching look for a fraction of the price.

For example, if you are one of The New York Times' religious Sunday Style Sections readers like I am, there's no way you missed last week's Gucci natural straw with embroidered raffia decoration purse — which sat at a solemn $4,150 — beaming across the front page. The purse was cute — but for one reason or another I've never been a fan of paying $100 per straw. Thankfully, I found salvation in a place my friend once called "that little store out in the country," or as most of us know it, Target.

There, hanging at an unbelievably beautiful $29.99 was a remarkably similar Rafe straw bag also embroidered in colored raffia. The most astonishing part of the whole experience was the fact that the latter was actually the cuter of the two bags.

Sometimes we are lucky. Not all purchases are that coincidental — however, it is the job of Target trendspotters and product developers to take high designer looks and replicate them for an affordable price — so your chances of finding seasonal key pieces is actually pretty good.

Keep in mind, if Target doesn't carry it, there are always Madison's trusty local vintage stores. Numerous vintage boutiques are dispersed around State Street hidden, although truly a sight to be seen. Since most of the time designer's collections are simply a reflection of previous seasons, there is a strong probability of finding what you're looking for somewhere in the store. The secret is perseverance and imagination. Even if they might not have exactly what you're looking for, look for pieces that can be easily manipulated to recreate the look you want.

Lately there has been a gender-bending revolution in fashion as styles are becoming interchangeable between women and men. Gap picked up on this trend with the look of the "boyfriend trouser." This makes tear sheet-holding, bargain-hunting a lot easier — and cheaper. Ambiguity aside, I simply mean going and looking through your brother or boyfriend's closet! There are very few times that "free" isn't a favorite among thrifty shoppers.

So before you go out and break the bank to purchase that "oh my gosh, one of a kind, amazing, key, seasonal piece," try going to your local Target, thrift store or even boy's closet to see if they have it first. While it might not be exactly what you're looking for, chances are one of those places has something that's pretty darn similar. Even though it was devastating losing that extra hour of sleep, just think of all that can be accomplished during your new extra hour of shopping. I can't think of a better way to bring in spring!

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Want to trade thrifting tips with Sydney? Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].