Lingerie way to go for best Valentine

It may be bitterly cold outside today, but inside, our hearts are warmed with a flood of pink, white and red. Flowers and chocolates line the mailroom, and even if a calendar were nowhere in sight, everyone would still know what day it is! Even if you haven't found that special someone with whom to spend this Valentine's Day, there's no reason that you can't still enjoy all the perks. For example, if you love chocolate, send yourself a box! Hey, if Cher in "Clueless" can do it, then anyone can.

Or if you really want to indulge in the joys of the holiday, why not go out and buy yourself lingerie? With so many sexy styles out right now, it'd be a waste not to drape yourself in this season's most decadent looks!

The great thing about lingerie is it's beautiful. It gives us confidence, and who doesn't love looking good from the inside out? Admit it, you always feel better when you're wearing cute underwear. It never fails to throw a little extra skip in your step. And yes, while we're all secretly hoping we find someone to show it off to, we still feel great regardless of the outcome. It never fails to help start the day off right and end it right as well. It makes us feel sexy, independent, strong and beautiful — and while it might not make us glow in the way true love can, who cares? Benefit created "moon beam" for that!

In truth, who really needs a man when we can have a red satin bra and panty set instead? While it might be hard to find the best company to provide one, the search is definitely worth it. Most choose the popular Victoria's Secret, and don't get me wrong — they make excellent undergarments — but it can become a little frustrating when after trying on the new "body by Victoria" you don't end up looking like Adriana Lima. Other brands, such as La Perla, deliver outfits that are very sexy while still being classy and original — however, the price is not always agreeable. For a local alternative, Pink Panties, located right on State Street, offers a variety of looks to choose from.

The most important things to consider before buying lingerie are class, color, cut, fit, feel and fabric. You want to make sure to steer away from anything trashy or too revealing — what makes lingerie so beautiful is its alluring appeal. Take that away and you leave too much exposed. Color is also important because it projects different moods. If you're looking for something girly and fun, go for something bright or pink. On the other hand, if sultry is more your forte, best stick with something in basic black, red or leopard (which obviously isn't a color, but the dominant print is always sexy). Cut, as I discussed in my last article, always plays a role in finding the perfect garment. When a company puts effort into making a beautifully cut bra or pair of underwear, it makes all the difference.

However, fit is probably the biggest factor to take into consideration before making a purchase. Many women still don't know their size, and it is honestly the least flattering thing in the world to wear underwear that doesn't fit right. So ladies, make sure you figure that out before you make a decision on your next buy.

Just as a badly fitting garment can be extremely uncomfortable, so can one whose texture feels bad. Bottom line, if it doesn't feel good against your skin in the store, nothing is going to change that — no matter how hot it may look, you'll end up never wearing it. Fabric is also important, without a doubt, in deciding which lingerie to purchase. Many stick to basic lace, satin or cotton — but originality is always encouraged. When Victoria's Secret put on its annual lingerie show this past year, it was all about originality. The garments were closer to wearable art than just being simply wearable!

Speaking of lingerie shows, while it is going to be tough to try and show up Heidi Klum, some Wisconsin students have decided to take on the challenge. The independently run show, "Haute Pants and Femme Fatales," features lingerie by textile and apparel design students and is expected to have a better turnout than last year. All of the pieces strutted down the runway will be original designs. However, the designers are not looking to turn a profit from the $5 cover charge. In fact, all proceeds will be donated directly to various local women's charities.

The event is being held this Saturday, Feb. 17, at Madison Avenue, 624 University Ave. Doors open at 9 p.m., and the show begins at 10 p.m. — but it would be smart to arrive early to avoid lines.

So this Valentine's Day, forget that little stuffed animal teddy bear that says "I love you" when you rub its belly. Whether you're planning on strutting your stuff down a runway, in front of your man or in front of your mirror, lingerie is the way to go!

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Direct your fashion questions or comments to [email protected].