Eligible singles go on ‘Holiday’

The holiday season is a popular time of year to release a lot of films, simply because many families are together and people enjoy seeing movies to relieve the stress of all the holiday shopping and mayhem. Each year produces a flood of movies with Christmas and holiday themes, the majority of which are geared toward children and families. Every once in awhile, however, an occasional holiday film shows up that adults will actually enjoy, like 2003's "Love Actually."

"The Holiday" is another such film. Similar to "Love Actually," this movie is packed full of famous actors and actresses. Moviegoers will get to see the best qualities of Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack Black in one sitting, as each of these actors fills his or her role admirably.

Black's performance as Winslet's romantic interest is a pleasant surprise. After all, it's a rare occasion to see him play someone other than an obnoxiously crazy, radical character. After the horrendous time "Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny" had at the box office, though, he needed something to put him back on top. It seems his strategy is working; "The Holiday" is currently No. 3 at the box office.

As far as the leading women, Winslet is as charming as ever, but Diaz's character is a definite improvement. Her turn as a cosmopolitan woman longing for a change of pace is much more real than most of her roles have been.

Then there's the handsome Jude Law, whose part is equally refreshing and unexpected, especially in comparison to his roles in "Alfie" (2004) and "Closer" (2004).

Not surprisingly, "The Holiday" takes place during the introspective period right before Christmas. Amanda (Diaz) and Iris (Winslet) meet on a website. Amanda is looking for a vacation and Iris is just looking to get away, so they plan a home exchange for two weeks. Iris heads to a mansion in dazzling L.A., while Amanda treks to a little cottage in Surrey, England. Upon their arrivals, neither can be more thrilled. Once they're left alone with their thoughts, however, they become as lonely and depressed as they had been before they left. That is, until two new dashing men enter their lives.

Amanda awakes one night to find an extremely drunk Graham (Law) pounding on her door, only to discover he's Iris' brother. Meanwhile, 3,000 miles away, Iris has struck up a friendship with the neighbor, only, don't hold your breath — he's 90 years old. Eli Wallach ("Mystic River") plays Arthur, the elderly neighbor with a twinkle in his eye.

As the separate but interconnected stories unfold, the plot thickens: Enter Miles (Black), a charming and sensitive film composer, whose love history strikes Iris as sounding very much like her own sordid past.

The film is more than two hours long, allowing for a lot of character development. But despite the long running time, the screenplay keeps you interested and involved with the characters. Right up until the end, the fates of the two women and the relationships they have built up over just a couple of weeks are not yet known, as both Amanda and Iris are torn over leaving by the friendships and feelings they have developed.

"The Holiday" is an enjoyable film, and a perfect movie for the season. Viewers will be able relate to the characters and the problems they are dealing with, even though the Internet home-swapping the plot is based on isn't very realistic. But you don't go to a romantic comedy to find a realistic relationship film; you go to enjoy the characters' chemistry and uplifting plot. "The Holiday" features both of these in abundance, making it the obvious successor to "Love Actually."

Alec Luhn contributed to this review.

Grade: 4 out of 5