Borat’s ‘Cultural Learning’ how you say? Nice

The movie is titled "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." If you do not find the moniker amusing, then you will no doubt hate the movie. If the title makes you smile for any non-sarcastic reason, then you will love the movie. It is as simple as that.

The premise of the film is also simple. Borat Sagdiyev, a journalist from Kazakhstan, is sent to New York City to learn about American culture and report it to his people. From there, cultural differences and miscommunication constitute most of the best moments.

Viewers may recognize the character of Borat from his regular segments on the "Da Ali G Show." Borat is played by the versatile Sacha Baron Cohen ("Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby"), who seems to become the character rather than just portraying him for laughs. What redeems the tasteless character is a sense of genuine sincerity Baron Cohen exudes as Borat, creating the perfect balance of a human being and a comedic caricature.

The credits and titles alone are entertaining. Everything is written in what is assumed to be Kazakh (which it may or may not actually be), and the video footage is grainy and faded. As it was in "Da Ali G Show," English translations are humorously superimposed over the symbols.

The movie opens with a narrative element, which is uncommon for the usual Borat improvised interactions. It seems strange to see actual actors along side Baron Cohen, but it adequately sets up the premise of the movie.

Later, Borat discovers the wonders of "Baywatch" and specifically the "wonders" of Pamela Anderson. He alters his assignment by leaving New York City and making a cross-country road trip to Los Angeles. This storyline functions well, though, and helps thread together the otherwise random attempts to become Americanized.

Borat makes the voyage with his producer, Azamat Bagatov, who is skillfully and boldly played by Ken Davitian. His introduction and constant presence were at first concerning. Who could possibly improve the already brilliant Borat?

Proving the premonition wrong, Davitian turns out to be the perfect addition. He often works as a worthy straight man to Borat's insanity, and at one point, without giving away what happens, he just about outdoes Baron Cohen. The sequence is truly shocking, which is difficult to pull off in the current "Jackass" culture.

Like that moment, a majority of the jokes are meant to be offensive in some way. Fortunately, they are not always funny solely because they are offensive. They are often funny because of the subtlety with which they are delivered or presented. For instance, in the beginning, Borat introduces the citizens of his village. He introduces one man as the town mechanic, and then casually adds that he is also the town abortionist. The joke was not beaten over the audience's head, but was essentially said in passing.

Most of the scenes and jokes from the movie are difficult to describe out of context without sounding racist. However, the movie itself does not seem to be made by a racist, but rather a person commenting on how rampant racism remains in this country and countries around the world.

It is not important where Borat is from. His character could be from a fictional country, and the observations made about American culture would be just as comical and precise.

As a result, this movie never comes off as being truly racially insensitive.

The only real problem is that Borat works great within a five-minute sketch, but begins to wear on the audience after 84 minutes. Most of the funny situations are set up and executed in similar manners with relatively redundant results, so the decision to keep the movie under an hour and a half was a good one.

Still, the movie remains entertaining and keeps the audience's attention all the way through. With a name like "Borat," it may be tempting for a reviewer (this one in particular) to call the movie Bor-ing. Unfortunately for this reviewer, the movie was not at all boring. If a cheesy, easily quotable movie review had to be written, though, it would go a little something like this — "Borat" is Bor-illiant.