Halloween sparks fun fashion statements

Close to 2,000 years ago the Celts came up with a ceremony called Samhain to commemorate the ending of the summer and the beginning of the harvest. The harvest, which was associated with winter, cold, darkness and death, made this day — the day before Nov. 1 — the time when the summer and the harvest, the living and the dead, blurred.

The Celts believed during this day the spirits of the dead returned to earth to damage crops, while the Druids (Celtic priests) were able to predict the future season. To celebrate Samhain, the Druids built sacrificial bonfires while the Celts dressed up in costumes consisting of animal heads and skins. Once the influence of Christianity had spread throughout the Celtic lands years later, what was once Samhain was replaced by Pope Boniface IV with "All-Hallowmas" (All-Saints Day). Today, during Halloween, the tradition to dress up in costume is still upheld; our influences however, seem drastically different from the animal heads our ancestors once wore.

Costumes such as ghosts and animals, which reflect Samhain, and devils and angels, which reflect All-Hallowmas, have become Halloween classics. However, the influence of our surroundings often brings about hundreds of different costume fashions. As I discussed last week, the media's role in fashion is prominent, and Halloween proves to be no exception. Within our culture we have created our own classics, such as fairytale/Disney characters, movie/television stars, as well as musicians. It seems nearly impossible that one could walk down State Street during Halloween and not see a Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, a Marilyn Monroe or a Flava Flave.

Characters such as these have become immersed in our culture and can be recognized from a mile away. The interesting thing about Halloween costumes is that those that are not media-driven catch us completely off guard. For example, why is it that on the only day of the year where you can choose to dress up as anything you want (and get away with it) so many guys dress up as girls? Similarly, why do so many girls choose to only partially dress themselves? I would like to say that I know the answers to these questions but I really have no idea. The most legitimate answer would be to simply blame the media and our culture.

In blaming our culture, we should also thank it for providing us with some of the most creative costume ideas ever seen, which is why so many people go out on State Street. We all want to see what other people came up with! This year I witnessed a real-live mattress strolling beside me, as well as a light switch, a nearly naked lucky-charms leprechaun, numerous 1970s disco girls and Facebook pages. That's the great thing about Halloween; I mean, how many other days during the year do you get to walk alongside a vital bed accessory with arms and legs? The aesthetic enjoyment we get from seeing thousands of people dressed in head-to-toe ridiculousness is simply irreplaceable.

Costumes, like everyday fashion, give us a chance to express ourselves through what we wear. Whether trying to make a statement or simply have a little fun, the sky is the limit in terms of what you can wear. Whether gracing the catwalk, the sidewalk or the Halloween Ball, there should be creativity and personality included — and it's always exciting to see what people come up with!

Sydney Burdick is a freshman intending to major in fashion journalism. Direct any questions or comments to [email protected].