Boston rockers average on debut CD

Judging by the looks of Boston-based rockers Boys Like Girls, it would be easy to toss them among the ranks of every other emo band on the punk-light music scene today. They've got it all: black hoodies, battered Chucks, kicked puppy dog eyes and of course, hair that covers no less than three-fifths of their faces. Their self-titled debut effort reveals the group has a bit more substance than first glance might let on; however, the initial assessment is accurate.

The sugary emo outfit comprised of vocalist Martin Johnson, drummer John Keefe, bassist Bryan Donahue and guitarist Paul DiGiovanni is among a growing number of bands gaining increased exposure and a widespread fan base thanks to the wonders of Internet profile sites such as MySpace and Purevolume and popular video-streaming destination, YouTube. Their video for "Hero/Heroine" has been viewed more than 450,000 times and became the 29th most linked video of all time on the site.

Among the group's fans was Matt Squire — producer of other rising acts such as Panic! At The Disco and Hit The Lights — and My Chemical Romance booking agent Matt Galle, who collaborated with the group. The influence of Squire and Galle's cooperative effort comes through in the upbeat sound of Boys Like Girls' debut effort.

Boys Like Girls upholds commonplace emo sensibilities with a sound reminiscent of Panic! and Chicago soft-core kids, Fall Out Boy, maintaining an energetic sound littered with catchy hooks and high-pitched vocals from frontman Johnson. They touch on the typical subjects of failed relationships and general struggles, yet they are able to break from the norm with the innovative use of synth beats and a collection of twelve songs showcasing their sonic versatility from up-tempo power ballads to mellow acoustic-guitar-driven tracks.

Boys Like Girls immediately delivers with the infectious beats of "The Great Escape." The youthful song kicks off with a rousing drum rhythm and hardly misses a beat as Johnson belts out hopeful lyrics intermingled with sweet harmonies in each passing chorus. The band is able to maintain this momentum on the syncopated sounds of "Hero/Heroine," where Johnson's voice travels the spectrum, at times reaching nearly falsetto pitches but then returning full force in hard-hitting reprises.

As is the case with many emo acts, however, Boys Like Girls showcase their talents in the "my life is hard" school of music, at times stretching lyrics for rhyme purposes and wallowing in their own self-pity in an over the top fashion. With a title like "Me, You and My Medication" it's a given that a song will not likely contain upbeat and hopeful lyrical content, but the forced melancholy and word choice of the album's sixth track is at times laughable. Johnson bellows about how "we're all looking for something to take away the pain" with his "medication" being a relationship because, after all, "love is just a chemical equation." It's a "synthetic sensation." Other likely lyrical possibilities: Sweeping the nation? Forming beautiful bonds like constellations?

The same holds true on "Learning to Fall," a track that evokes images of tear-smudged eyeliner and a blackened heart as the frontman deals with his inner turmoil and the fact that his ex-girlfriend left him for another guy. (ie: "Today is the day, the worst day of my life / You sulk until it hurts me / I don't know why / The cost of misery is at an all-time high.")

Boys Like Girls recovers by the end of the album with the sentimental, yet not over the top ballad "Holiday." The group takes a break from their upbeat pace in the mellow track that speaks of a need for change and exciting new experiences. Set against a subtle back instrumentation, the lyrics paint a hopeful picture for the future in a track many listeners can appreciate.

While Boys Like Girls do not create a new, groundbreaking sound in the pop/rock world, their self-titled debut is definitely worth a listen. If you love to rock out to the catchy beats of Panic! At The Disco, if you can't get enough of Taking Back Sunday's angsty lyrics, you'll certainly love Boys Like Girls.

Rating: 3 out of 5