Quirky singer earning ‘respekt’ on tour

Be careful not to group Regina Spektor into a category with other popular female singer/songwriters of our day — this quirky songstress is far from conventional. Part musician, part cartoon character, Spektor has developed a playful yet rich sound that only she can claim. Drawing from her Russian heritage as well as novels and anecdotes, Spektor represents an oxymoronic style of intelligent naívety that sets her apart from traditional female artists.

Fortunately for Regina fans in the area, Spektor and opening band Only Son have decided to make an official stop in Wisconsin before continuing their North American tour. Spektor began touring in May to bolster support for her most current release Begin to Hope and is set to unleash her unique brand of music on Madison at the Majestic Theatre Oct. 17.

Opening for Spektor on her tour is Only Son, also known as Jack Dishel, the former lead guitarist for the anti-folk group The Moldy Peaches. With vocals that resemble a mellowed Jesse Lacey from alt-rock band Brand New and the electro-rock stylings of Her Space Holiday, Only Son has created an extensive following in the U.K. Only Son is touring with Spektor until he returns to New York City to perform with his full band.

Similar to Dishel, Spektor's career also began opening for a renowned artist. While some may only remember her as the artist who opened for and recorded the B-side track "Modern Girls & Old-Fashioned Men" with The Strokes in 2003, Spektor has clearly made a name for herself with the increasing popularity of her current release Begin to Hope. Presently, Spektor is slated to perform at least a dozen more shows in the United States and Canada before she concludes her North American tour in Tucson, Ariz.

Spektor's popular success can be attributed to her long-time love of music. At the early age of six, Spektor began studying classical piano and, ironically, classic rock bands like Queen, The Beatles and The Moody Blues. Three years later, Spektor's Jewish family fled from the Soviet Union to the Bronx, forcing Spektor to leave her beloved piano behind. Despite this obstacle, Spektor continued to practice anywhere she could, even if that meant playing Mozart or Beethoven on her knees.

Perhaps it is this childhood creativity — along with her strong Russian-Jewish heritage and literary allusion — that has contributed to the success of Spektor's newest album. Audiences are shocked, but also drawn to Spektor's childlike honesty when she recounts a "time when we found a human tooth down on Delancey" on "That Time" or the trilingual piece "Aprés Moi," which features a Soviet-esque chant and a verse in Russian. Fans' appreciation of Spektor's blunt style was apparent from Begin to Hope's first week of sales, which reached No. 1 on the New Artist SoundScan charts — a feat Spektor graciously declared as a "giant gift from all" in a post on her MySpace page.

While she incorporates every possible method of surprise into her songs, Spektor keeps visual elements to a minimum during performances. In the past, Spektor has toured with no more than a piano, a drumstick and a stool as a makeshift drum. Recently, Spektor has incorporated a guitarist, bassist and drummer into her performance. Because of this addition, fans will be able to enjoy songs from her new album.

Spektor's instrumentation, however, is not the only aspect of her performance that should stun audiences. With vocal tone resembling Billie Holiday in her lower register, a piercing soprano, and the scoops, slides, and vibrato of a jazz lounge chanteuse, Spektor's voice is enough to leave fans satisfied for months. Her apparent Bronx accent, which Spektor emphasizes to pay homage to New York, is apparent throughout much of her songs and adds to the quirkiness that defines Spektor from other contemporary female artists.

Whether you're a longtime Regina fan, a student seeking a break from midterms or looking to hear more about that human tooth on "Delancey," Regina Spektor offers a break from an often mundane reality. Even if you're merely intrigued, don't hesitate to venture down King Street and allow Spektor to satisfy your curiosity.