Indie band to rock Orpheum

Thanks to increased attention given to important issues like global warming, natural resources and preserving the bounty of Mother Earth, it's safe to say our society has become at least a little more eco-friendly. This summer, movie theaters across the country promoted the importance of reducing carbon emissions with former Vice President Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Car manufacturers are boasting more efficient and environmentally friendly hybrid cars. Campaigns like General Motors' "Live Green, Go Yellow" urge consumers to think about their purchases with the planet's wellbeing in mind.

Countless examples can be given for this increased conscientiousness, but while we are bombarded with such messages on a daily basis, we don't often look to the music world for major players in the environmentalist movement. That is, until we think of Cloud Cult.

In an industry where promotion is everything, the bottom line is key. Pure, unadulterated talent is often overlooked in favor of fleeting glitz and glamour. The indie rock outfit Cloud Cult lives on the scene as a breath of fresh air. The band, a favorite among college students nationwide, has chiseled a spot on student-run radio stations, often eking out veteran musicians for top spots. As Scott Spider, a music director for Alaska's KSUA radio station, said on the band's website, "[Cloud Cult] came out of nowhere, but in a matter of only four days of their first CD release to North American radio, they began taking over Radiohead's No. 1 slot on college radio stations. That kind of thing just doesn't happen, particularly for a band that no one had ever heard of before."

Such surprising success has made Cloud Cult worthy of attention. Originally formed in the mid-90s by Craig Minowa, a musician and environmental science major who dreamed of marrying his two passions, the band existed for more than just the music. According to its website, Cloud Cult was formed as more than a band. It stood as a "not-for-profit music-centered environmental and philosophical movement." With a unique sound and passionate mission, the band began this movement by creating its own label, Earthology Records, a move that effortlessly brought together art and activism.

The group's combination of passion for the environment and undeniable talent have rocketed it to the top of charts and the forefront of iPod playlists. With six albums under its belt, the band has grown and matured over the past decade, with its most recent release, 2005's Advice from the Happy Hippopotamus receiving boatloads of praise for its full bodied sound and philosophical undertones.

While many groups talk the talk and claim to support a cause without actually walking the walk, Cloud Cult takes its heart for the environment and takes action. For example, instead of packaging their CDs in new plastic cases, band members meticulously clean donated used jewel cases to distribute their albums. In addition, Earthology Records is located on an organic and wind-powered farm in Minnesota. All of the band's print materials are created by a family-owned print shop using soy inks and printed on 100 percent post-consumer recycled paper. Cloud Cult means what it says, and its passion and conviction is evident in all aspects of the band's existence.

Activism aside, Cloud Cult boasts a sound that cannot be ignored. A blend of smooth, mellow melodies and thought-provoking lyrics, the band sounds like a sumptuous mix of Beck, Bright Eyes and Modest Mouse, with a unique twist that's all their own. Always evolving, the band's discography reflects the individual heartaches, lessons learned and loves of its members.

The ingenuity of the group isn't limited to the mere sound. It is also incredibly evident in the band's live shows. With a mission to add art to each performance, Cloud Cult has been known to include projectors and live painters, whose on-stage masterpieces accurately reflect the feeling of the songs performed. The impressive blend of music, art and environmentalism makes Cloud Cult a group to be reckoned with and a show not to be missed. Madisonians will have the chance to be wowed by Cloud Cult on the Orpheum stage this Friday, Sept. 15, in what promises to be a passionate and impressive show. Tickets for the 18-and-up show are on sale now at the Orpheum for $18.