Jewel's latest harkens back to old hits, packs new ones

What could be better than being voted one of People's 100 Most Beautiful? Having a highly anticipated new album coming out in the same month is a good start.

For Jewel, the widely renowned singer/songwriter famous for her flower-child ways and known to sing an extensive array of music, including rock, pop, country, blues, jazz and classical, both these things are true. She graces the pages of the May 8 issue of People Magazine, photographed on the back of her horse on her ranch. There is no doubt that Jewel is a beautiful woman, but her music is why people continue to notice her.

"Again and Again," the name of the first track on her new album, Goodbye Alice in Wonderland, harkens back to long before the pop outing that was 0304. If it seems like a long time since you have heard her music, it might be true, since this is the first album she has put out in three years. "Again and Again" is highly reminiscent of her past hit, "You Were Meant for Me," but with more inspirational words for romantics: "There is no giving in / there is no giving up in love."

Many of the songs on the new album are love songs that have to do with leaving or traveling somewhere.

"Drive to You" is easily one of the best songs on the album. It has a steady beat and a catchy chorus that makes the song worthwhile. All of the songs have interesting lyrics that make the songs worth listening to on repeat just to understand them completely. "Drive to You" simply states: "Life without you is just passing time." Jewel is definitely singing to a specific person in these love songs, and her strong feelings come across easily through the meaningful lyrics.

One aspect of this CD that makes it entertaining is the fact that there are many different types of music on it. "Only One Two" has a rock feeling and is very fun to listen to. "Words Get in the Way" has a more teeny-bopper pop feel to it. While not exactly the most complex song on the disc, it is a fun listen that will put listeners in a carefree mood. The title track, "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland," is much slower and has a more somber feel to it. Jewel writes in this song about leaving with her guitar as her companion. The chorus is more upbeat.

With the many good songs on this album come a few that should be skipped. "Long Slow Ride" is, ironically, too slow and written with an absurd metaphor about a circus being like love. "Good Day" has more talking in it than singing, and listeners will find themselves wondering how this even ended up on a musical album instead of talk radio.

In the song "Stephenville, TX," Jewel reaches back to her Alaskan roots — where she was born and grew up — and gives the song a country vibe. If the listener likes country music in any way, this song will definitely be a favorite.

Fans will likely enjoy this CD, even though some of the songs are too slow to listen to if you are in a good mood. Anyone who is in a relationship can relate to most of these songs, as they were clearly written with a certain person in mind. This album is a good, carefree listen for anyone who enjoys slow ballads with some country, rock and pop mixed in.

Fans of Jewel will have a chance to see her live this summer when she goes on tour with Rob Thomas. The tour kicks of May 23 in Clearwater, Fla., and ends July 5 in San Diego. Unfortunately for Wisconsin fans, though, the closest this duo comes to Madison will be its stop in Chicago.

Rating: 4 out of 5