Taking Back Sunday showing maturity

Taking Back Sunday's third album, Louder Now, includes many more "scream" vocals and feels much heavier on guitar and drums. It is faster, darker and simply more rock-oriented than the band's past two albums.

Anyone who enjoys the similar sounds of My Chemical Romance or Jimmy Eat World will probably enjoy this album. Everyone else may want to look elsewhere.

The band was lucky enough to be able to work with popular producer Eric Valentine, who has worked with the likes of Third Eye Blind and Queens of the Stone Age. Valentine pushed the band to go further in a rock direction with new sounds and lyrical complexity, taking the band further yet from its pop-rock roots.

The story behind the lyrical content for this album is that they don't know where they fit in. They want people to listen to the music and words seriously. They want people to be able to relate to them on a broader level.

The opening song, "What it Feels Like to be a Ghost," is a perfect example of the intentional lyrics. The song uses howling vocals with intense guitar riffs to accentuate the lyrical tone. The song is about feeling like nothing no matter what you do. In any given situation, you are insignificant and invisible. Frankly, all people feel lonely and invisible at times in their lives; this song is trying to reach out to these people and tell them it's OK.

On a somewhat similar note is the song "MakeDamnSure." This is the first single off the album, and its power is underrated. With lead singer Adam Lazzara's howling vocals in combination with Eddie Reyes' and Mascherino's slashing guitars, it gives depth to the lyrically strong song. The lyrics further touch on their feelings of uncertainty and insecurities about where their futures are going to lead them.

One song that further differentiates this album from previous releases is "Liar." It plays off a much darker, moodier ambiance with its lyrics and tones. People might be a little surprised with the intensity of this song, but that was likely the band's goal.

"Miami" is a more laid-back, fun song — but don't mistake it for Will Smith's classic jam. The song encompasses the use of an interesting type of drum that gives it a tight, almost-'80s vibe. It is completely innovative because the drums create a cohesive sound with the bass lines and guitar solos to make it something new and refreshing.

Taking Back Sunday's reputation has been gaining popularity from the best of the music business. Now working with Warner Brothers, this will definitely give them a push upward to more opportunities in their musical career. They have already played extensively on The Warped Tour and traveled with Jimmy Eat World and Green Day. The song "Error Operator," featured as a remix on Louder Now, is also present on the "Fantastic Four" movie soundtrack and video game.

The band is risking a great amount on Louder Now in creating something that will likely polarize potential listeners. The turn for a darker and more intense album might appeal to longtime fans, but newcomers to the group may find the sound to be a little too hardcore and somewhat depressing.

Rating: 3 out of 5