No ‘Bad Day’ with rising popster Daniel Powter

So did anyone hear the story about that guy Daniel Powter? Well word on the street is that there is a reason why he always wears a hat. Apparently a car hit him as a kid and now he has a huge scar on his head. In order to cover it, Powter is never seen without a trusty yet fashionable beanie. Supposedly the guy now owns literally dozens of similar caps. True story.

An artist must know they are sitting pretty when their debut single is at the top of the charts and they already have a trademark — not to mention the circulation of an interesting trivia story pertaining to that trademark. Throw in Powter's stunning looks, courtesy of his perpetual stubble and dashing green eyes, and the boy is an instant pop star. Sit back and start taking notes, Britney.

OK, so he hasn't blown up Britney-style yet. "Yet" being the key word. Many still do not instantly recognize the name Daniel Powter (nor have they heard his beanie story), but everyone has at least heard his current single "Bad Day," the first off his debut album (the self-titled Daniel Powter). It is impossible to escape its infectious quality. Besides being on the radio nonstop while steadily climbing to the top of the charts, the song and its "pick yourself up and dust yourself off" lyrics are also featured extensively on the current fifth season of "American Idol."

Maybe it is the hit single's association with "Idol," but a comparison that is almost too perfect can be made with one of the show's stars. Hands down, Powter is the male Kelly Clarkson.

At first it seems like a bit of a stretch to associate the 35-year-old Canadian with the 23-year-old Texas-born songstress, but look at the facts. First and foremost, they are both backed by actual musical talent — a growing rarity nowadays in the industry. Not to mention, both of their styles are pop-personified. (But in a good fun way, not a phony Ashlee/Hilary way.) Plus, his pop persuasion, like Kelly's, has that slight tendency to rock out ever so often throughout the album. The man has already made "Bad Day" the new "Since U Been Gone," and with his album being a fun listen from start to finish, Powter is set to make his debut this year's Breakaway. (Plus, Kelly has got to run out of singles from that album soon, right?)

That may adequately describe his persona, but how would one describe his sound? He has definitely got that light pop quality of James Blunt or Train about him that just screams VH1. But, thankfully, he still manages to steer clear of that not-so-cool adult contemporary feeling. Rather, catchy beats give Powter's album a slight R&B slant. That, in combination with his persistent falsetto, makes listeners think of him more akin to Adam Levine of Maroon 5 or perhaps even Justin Timberlake — just less ghetto-fied.

In reality, the comparisons are never-ending because Powter tries to switch it up as much as possible on the album without ever straying from his overarching style. For instance, the track "Suspect" is by far the most up-beat number. It contains an in-your-face opening and a chorus that makes listeners want to rock out behind the steering wheel. Yet somehow he manages to pull off a similar feeling on "Lie To Me" — but in a much less aggressive manner, relying more heavily on his piano skills and lyrical cooing.

It is precisely that piano playing that keeps the album a cohesive and thoroughly enjoyable unit. The instrument proves extremely effective whether Powter uses it on softer tracks like "Lost On The Stoop" or an up-tempo track like "Hollywood."

With Powter, the possibilities are endless. A listener can truly revel in an album when upon repeated listens there is still no clear-cut sign as to which tracks will be upcoming singles. (Although bets should be placed on the album opener, "Song 6," as it is just too irresistible. But then again, who knows as "Free Loop" and "Jimmy Gets High" are just as fun. Regardless, point proven.)

Daniel Powter is where it's at in Top 40 music right now. He, along with his contemporaries (such as the Howie Day, the Fray or the aforementioned Blunt), is catering to an audience that dissed boy bands over half a decade ago but still craves that male-vocal pop. And this time around the results are lot more favorable.

Rating: 5 out of 5