'Oblivion' epic gaming adventure

Bethesda Softworks has at long last appeased the gods of gaming and Xbox 360 owners alike with the release of "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion." From the indescribably gorgeous graphics to engrossing and open-ended gameplay, "Oblivion" proves a title well worth delay — and the hundreds of dollars shelled out for next-gen hardware.

After a reign of several decades, Emperor Uriel Septim has been assassinated. However, before tossing the mortal coil, he speaks to a prisoner, who he dreams will bring peace to Tamriel by closing the gates of Oblivion. As that same prisoner, players are met with the challenge of fulfilling the late emperor's prophecy or die trying.

"Decisions, decisions" is all that will run through a player's mind as he or she begins the trek, beginning with character customization. The depth of fine-tuning a hero ranges from choosing basic skills such as magic to deciding what skin tone best complements a dark elf. Such a level of detail really allows gamers to make this title their own and create their own virtual identity, which promises to stick with them for hundreds of hours. Different attributes offer their own strengths and weaknesses, but no matter what is chosen, they will balance with the challenges put forth by the game. Deciding on a character type is only the beginning, since the real gameplay begins thereafter.

Of course, like any role-playing game (RPG), there is an overly spectacular and grandiose quest that the hero must embark on to save the world. "Oblivion" indeed is no exception, yet handles this formulaic game type in its own unique way. It steps away from a linear RPG path which usually goes along the lines of: walk to dungeon, slay monster, level up, read text, kill boss, lather, rinse, repeat. "Oblivion" gives players the option to not even follow the story if they choose. There are so many side missions that tailor to any player's tastes that it is easy to get lost and almost completely forget what the main mission is. Well, perhaps not forget, but not care. Replay value is huge here, allowing RPG enthusiasts to journey through the lengthy title on more than one occasion.

It is impossible to avoid popping in "Oblivion" to christen one's 360 without simply staring in awe at the intricately constructed world of Tamriel. The vast expanse that is a veritable playground for gamers is littered with innumerable dungeons and hidden treasures. Environments are rendered with such incredible detail that it is actually possible to see across the entire map from a mountain top, provided the weather allows for clear skies that day. Each game sprite has its own look, complete with a mouth that moves accurately with the words it speaks. Finally, we have a title that is willing to take full advantage of hardware capabilities.

AI has advanced to a new level in "Oblivion." Enemies and friends alike are almost completely autonomous, giving gameplay a natural, unscripted feel. For example, if an enemy attacks in plain sight of guards, he has broken the law and guards will come to the rescue. AI adds a new dimension of difficulty as well, since whenever a player levels up, so does everyone else — meaning more powerful foes to keep the game fresh and never boring.

Certainly the most entertaining of the various guilds players can join is aptly named Dark Brotherhood. Getting in is simple: kill an innocent in cold blood. Once in the Brotherhood, players are given contracts to assassinate other sprites by any means possible, receiving bonuses for special hits. I laughed for some time after crushing a man in his favorite chair with a pair of mounted horns. Fellow shrouded brothers will be more than happy to give advice to complete the contracts or give encouragement with comments like, "Spill some blood for me, won't you, brother?"

Spectacular visuals paired with unparalleled gameplay offer a next-gen gaming experience like none other. "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" is well worth the $69.99 for the collector's edition, not to mention an essential piece to any RPG collector's library — or, for that matter, any Xbox 360 owner. "Go now, my brother. May the night mother wrap you in her cold, loving embrace." Translation: get to the nearest game retailer. Forget about studying and start getting your game on.

Rating: 5 out of 5