Campus club shaking things up

Expel the belief that bellydancing is a foreign dance that can only be seen and performed under an Arabian night or by a Columbian artist named Shakira. The UW-Bellydancing performance group, which was started on campus in 2000, will soon be dispelling stereotypes that belly dancing is provocative and showing off their best moves around campus this semester.

As bellydancing has been exposed more through the media, the club has been continuing to expand in the past six years. Currently, there are 70 active members, 40 of which are involved in the upcoming show divided by beginning, intermediate and advanced performers. This year was their first year of holding tryouts for the Bellydancing recital, although the club is open to all, even those with no prior dancing skills. In an interview with the Badger Herald, club member Ani Bergstrom said, "the troupe embraces women (and men) of different shapes and sizes," and is also "ethnically diversified."

As a matter of fact, inspiring individuals started the club itself. Club member Jasmine Bhathena said, "several students wanted to find a place to practice more frequently than once a week in … mini-courses classes offered on campus, so they formed a student organization. As they began practicing, other organizations started asking if they would be interested in performing, which begin the evolution of the club into a more performance-focused club."

President Renee Disch also remarked that, "there are so many cool individuals involved with the club. I enjoy performing and sharing my love for this unique and underappreciated dance form." Renee also said that the only requirement to being in the club is "a willingness to learn, practice and have fun!" In fact, the club practices several times a week and practices are generally held on Sundays at the Memorial Union and Union South anywhere from one to three hours.

Unlike other dance experiences, the club membership fee is reasonable and dues are only $15 for the semester, $25 for the whole school year and $30 for the entire year. Member Theresa Donnelly also offers Bellydancing classes at the SERF on Wednesdays at 6:15 p.m. with a group pass. When asked about how long she has been dancing Donnelly said, "I started taking lessons in southern Minnesota when I was nine. My mother had been taking lessons and I was interested too so I started. I loved watching the dance and coming to practices with her and so I began taking private lessons with my sister … I would love to make a career out of performing bellydance and giving lessons … "

Show coordinator Monica Muraski, a member of the club said, "My favorite part of bellydancing is that it is an art form that loves the body. Many other styles of dance seem to try to fight the body's natural stance and shape, whereas bellydancing is comprised of isolated movements within the body."

In fact, bellydancing, a type of dance style that fuses African dance with Middle-Eastern culture, has a misleading name. Although the stomach can be an important element in moves, much of bellydancing consists of isolating or moving only a single part of the body. Many of the members would argue bellydancing should be called "hip-dancing." One might see dancers shake their shoulders, twist their hips or shimmy their entire lower half. Dance leader Jasmine Bhathena remarked that, "bellydancing translates from French as "La Danse Du Ventre" which means "the dance of the front." In fact, many hip-hop moves can be considered "bellydancing." Monica Muraski also comments that bellydancing is "a great work out for thighs, abs, buns and shoulders. Just maintaining a correct posture, or "basic position" as the club calls it, is very difficult — but good for the body."

Another misconception the UW-Bellydancing club dispels is that bellydancing is just for females. Mike Dartt, the only male bellydancer in the club, said he joined because he "wanted to learn some new dance techniques and get [his] body used to moving in different ways. It's a lot of fun and I'm treated well by the other dancers.

"However, I think it would be a different story if I didn't take dance seriously — say, if I was only there to meet women. That sort of attitude doesn't go over very well." Is bellydancing the same for men as women? Dartt comments, "We do a lot of the same moves, though there are a few that don't overlap. The main difference is in the style: while women tend toward more feminine, sinuous movements, my body needs to move in a more powerful, masculine fashion." He recommends that other men on campus "give it a shot. It's a lot of fun and you'll meet some cool people. Just make sure to take it seriously."

To see Dartt and others perform on campus, check out their 6th annual recital, the Spring 2006 Bellydancing Workshop, Hafla & Show which will be tonight at Mills Hall in the Humanities starting at 7:30 p.m. Expect to see Middle Eastern floor work, drum solos, veil work, male/female duet, folk dancing, American tribal style dancing and special guest Onca, a professional bellydancer.

On Saturday night the club will offer a dance party from 7:00-11:00 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The Hafla will include a reception during the first hour with free snacks and a cash bar, performances by Bellydancers and African Dancers, live Middle Eastern & African Music and Drumming, as well as DJ'ed Middle Eastern Music. Prior to the dance, Onca will hold a dance convention, which introduces Tribal Belly dancing and Spanish Fusion (think Shakira in the Grammy winning video "Tortura" or "Hips Don't Lie").

If you cannot make that night, the groups also perform at local events and charities across UW-Madison. Past events have included the All Campus Party, Children's World Fair, Party in the Park, Student Performance Showcase and Student Organization Fair. In April they will perform at the Dance Show Concert at the Union Theatre. In addition, the dance troupe associated with the Bellydancing Club, called Layali Najam, will perform at formal events such as weddings and Middle Eastern Dance Showcases all over the Midwest. With the increasing popularity of bellydancing, expect to see more of this cultural art form.