New Willis film suspenseful, well cast

"16 Blocks" may be a tad formulaic, but the performances make the movie. Each actor is impeccably cast in his respective role and portrays his character's complexities to the fullest.

Bruce Willis plays Jack Mosley, a cop so sick of his job and life that he finds his only solace in alcohol. He is so pathetic that upon arriving at a crime scene, the first thing he does is check the cabinets for liquor.

Willis has never looked so weak. Some actors gain weight for their roles. Here, it looks like Willis lost some. He aptly portrays a character who has lived a long and rough life.

Jack is assigned to transport a prisoner who will be used as a witness in a trial to the courthouse 16 blocks away. He reluctantly accepts the assignment and goes to pick him up.

It is Eddie Bunker (played by hip-hopper Mos Def), Jack's opposite in almost every way. Eddie has an optimistic outlook on life, talks fast and never shuts up. While driving, Jack humorously slides the plastic divide shut for some peace and quiet. Eddie just keeps on talking.

Def's performance as Eddie is one step away from being a character on "Chappelle's Show." Nonetheless, he remains believable and incredibly human. Def does a fantastic job of conveying a quiet vulnerability to the audience through his eyes. One cannot help but feel sorry for him and subsequently sympathize.

During a quick stop at a liquor store, Eddie's life is threatened while waiting in the back of the police car. Jack musters up enough energy to safely get Eddie to a bar and hide out for a while. He informs a colleague about his whereabouts, and soon after, his ex-partner, Frank Nugent, arrives at the scene.

David Morse ("The Green Mile") plays Frank. Morse plays the bad guy to the edge of stereotype. He is so clearly a corrupt cop that the audience immediately sides with the criminal rather than the law. His face exhibits a total lack of emotion with occasional suppressed delight, as if he actually enjoys being bad.

Frank informs Jack that Eddie is going to be a witness to some law enforcement corruption and needs to be taken out before he is able to testify. Jack stares at his ex-partner with contempt. A change in Jack's brain seems to occur during this contemplative gaze, and he decides, for once in his life, that it is his job to do the right thing. He is sick of all the dishonesty and is going to see to it that Eddie gets to that courthouse.

All the performances, and even the storyline itself, are taken to conventional extremes, and yet somehow the movie still feels fresh. Perhaps this is a credit to director Richard Donner ("Lethal Weapon" series). The shaky camerawork and fast-paced editing have both been done before, but here they are used so efficiently that the film does not suffer from a feeling of dullness.

Another cliché that the film utilizes on countless occasions is the classic misdirection. Without giving away any of the surprises, it is safe to say that almost any gunshot heard is not coming from where the viewer would expect.

This is used so often in the movie that the viewers can, at the very least, predict that what they think is happening or is going to happen is probably wrong. However, it is not always easy to predict what is correct.

The presence of surprise is predictable, but the surprises themselves are often unforeseen. Just when one thinks they know exactly where the story is heading, another revelation hits them across the face.

Also, the action never takes a break. The audience can feel the immediacy of every situation. Jack and Eddie are close to being caught so many times that it makes the viewer's stomach churn with anxiety. This is a good thing, as it makes the film incredibly effective.

The appearance of the movie takes the traditional gritty look to just the right level. The director sticks with primarily earth tones, grays and blacks, and many of the scenes are poorly lit or strategically lit in just the right places. This adds to the realism and mystery of these scenes.

With emotional impact and gripping suspense, "16 Blocks" is an astonishingly effective film. Screenwriter Richard Wenk, director Donner and the superb performances of the actors Willis, Def and Morse come together to make one hell of a crime thriller that is, to state the obvious, thrilling.

Rating: 4 out of 5