Touching romance graces big screen

Its self-proclaimed tagline boldly announces, "Before Romeo and Juliet, there was Tristan and Isolde." However, the unoriginal comparison cheapens Tristan and Isolde's own story. Indeed they are both timeless romances embedded within a world of fierce battles, familial rivalry and longstanding tradition. And although the tale of the two lovers is indeed star-crossed, that is where the similarities end.

Based on a medieval legend of obscure Celtic origin, "Tristan & Isolde" is set in the Dark Ages. The unified Irish and disjointed Britons are in constant conflict over local dominion. The basic storyline has gone through many different evolutions, including literature, film and even opera. However, the newest cinematic version still manages to keep the age-old tale fresh.

The newest cinematic version centers on Tristan (James Franco, "Spiderman 2"), who, after his parents are slain by the Irish, is raised by his uncle, Lord Marke (Rufus Sewell, "The Legend of Zorro"). Later in life, during another clash between the Britons and the Irish, Tristan is brutally injured. Struck with a poisoned blade, he is believed dead and subsequently sent to sea aboard a funeral boat, as is tradition with great and noble warriors. Fortunately for Tristan, the boat washes up on the shores of Ireland. Discovered and nursed back to health by Isolde (Sophia Myles, "Underworld"), daughter of the Irish King Donnchadh (David O'Hara, "Hotel Rwanda"), the two inevitably fall in love unaware of each other's regal identities.

Realizing they must go their separate ways, Tristan returns to his homeland. However, in a twist of fate the lovers are reunited when, in a tournament, Tristan unknowingly wins Isolde as a bride for his uncle — a marriage that would stop the years of bloodshed between the feuding peoples. As can be expected, the love triangle poses a great threat to the newfound stability between the adjacent isles. Throw in some evil plotting, secrets, lies and a lot of jealousy and behold the neverending drama of "Tristan & Isolde."

Some of the plot may seem extremely circumstantial, but the audience must keep in mind that "Tristan & Isolde" is a legend above all else. Besides, the scenery and the costuming are impeccably picturesque. The shots are exellently composed, especially the numerous scenes on the seashore. Amid the plethora of praiseworthy aspects, however, the true standout of "Tristan & Isolde" is James Franco.

In recent years, the demure actor has slowly been augmenting his blip on the Hollywood radar with his James Dean-esque looks. (The old Hollywood comparison is cemented by a made-for-television movie where he starred as the late actor). With his breakthrough role as Daniel Desario on FOX's short-lived (but now cult status) TV show "Freaks & Geeks," Franco first garnered attention from both critics and fans alike. But now with his continuing participation in the "Spiderman" franchise and a second flick this year ("Annapolis") already opening this weekend, Franco is fast on track to becoming as commonplace as the once unknown (and unpronounceable) Jake Gyllenhaal.

Like most leading men, he has the standard gorgeous locks that are always perfectly tousled and that necessary talent of looking good without a shirt on. But with "Tristan & Isolde," Franco capitalizes on what he does best — the permanent pout face. Although he started perfecting it back in his "Freaks & Geeks" days, his new film takes it to two hours of perfected poutiness.

This may seem to be a cheap shot, discrediting any range of veritable acting skills Franco may have, but it truly is the consistant factor that makes his character a certifiable legendary hero. Tristan faces one hardship after another and Franco is capable of giving him a perpetual face of heartbreak. He succeeds in never making the scenes melodramatic, nor lessening the character's heroic nature. Next to over-the-top actors like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, his performance comes across as something rare in the world of cinema today — a subtle leading man.

Franco's performance is only made stronger by a well-balanced film. Although a clear-cut love story, "Tristan & Isolde" never spends too much time dealing with sappy romantic scenes. Similarly, although it is a period piece revolving around war and politics, the movie does not contain arduous and drawn out battle scenes that often detract from the main plot.

Compared to "King Arthur" or "Troy" and other recent legend-based films, "Tristan & Isolde" succeeds in intermingling the two different aspects ever so gently, keeping it tight and focused and, most importantly, enjoyable.

Rating: 4 out of 5