“Cheaper By the Dozen 2” lacks excitement, talent

Walking into "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," one would expect to see a cute, fun family comedy that is an easy continuation of the first film. Sadly, this is not the case. Mediocre acting and the feeling that the film's comedy is trying too hard both uphold the common belief that sequels only disappoint fans of the original.

Director Adam Shankman ("The Wedding Planner") took over former "Cheaper by the Dozen" director Shawn Levy's position for the second installment. New actors to the second film include Eugene Levy ("New York Minute"), who plays Tom Baker's (Steve Martin, "Shopgirl") childhood nemesis, and Carmen Electra ("Starsky & Hutch"), who joins the cast as Levy's wife. New additions to the original cast prove futile, as new and old actors alike commit acting crimes.

"Cheaper by the Dozen 2" takes place a couple of years after the first film ends. After moving to Chicago, the heads of the Baker household (Martin and Bonnie Hunt, "Life With Bonnie") realize that their children are growing up and apart very quickly. Nora (Piper Perabo, "Coyote Ugly") is pregnant. Lorraine (Hilary Duff, "Raise Your Voice") has just graduated high school and is moving to New York for the summer to work in fashion. Charlie (Tom Welling, "Smallville") is questioning his future dreams as a mechanic, and the rest of the kids are doing their own thing. To remedy the lack of familial cohesiveness, Mom and Dad Baker decide to take a brief a vacation to their old summer home, located in beautiful lake Winnetka, Wis. It is there that the action begins when the family is confronted with its polar opposite, the rich Murtaugh family.

The film's plot focuses on an annual competition between the two families — a competition traditionally won by the Murtaugh family. To some comedic avail, Tom Baker pulls out all the stops to win the competition, though his family's trust and loyalty are tested as a result. Even with the setbacks throughout the movie, it is not a surprise that, in the end, the Baker clan comes together to present a stronger-than-ever, united front.

Because "Cheaper by the Dozen 2" is a sequel, it is not surprising to see some maturation of characters. Sarah Baker (Alyson Stoner, "Garfield") played the tomboy of the family in the original, but has decidedly grown up in the second film. Forming a crush on one of the Murtaugh boys, Sarah begins experimenting with makeup and fancy clothes, even going as far as to steal cosmetics from a store. In a scene better left for an after-school special, little Sarah learns a valuable lesson from her mother, who teaches her that beauty comes from within.

Both "Cheaper by the Dozen" movies are aimed at families and provide heart-warming cinematic experiences that boast family values and are appropriate for all ages. Though its efforts are noble, the sequel just doesn't cut it. With the plot's outcome obvious throughout the film and the vast majority of characters bringing nothing new or compelling to the screen, audiences are not in the least bit excited. Though the film retains some appreciated silliness and important family ideals introduced in the first movie, "Cheaper by the Dozen 2," overall, is just a sequel that in no way makes the original storyline stronger. We would have been fine without it in theaters.