‘The New World’ presents boring affair

A half-hour into "The New World," an understated epic from acclaimed director Terrence Malick, we are introduced to the spirited Native American legend known as Pocahontas. Only she's nothing like the Pocahontas we remember from other, slightly less understated Disney movies. She's passionate. She's sensual. She's idyllic. And she's completely, mind-numbingly boring.

To be fair, "The New World" isn't the type of film that is meant to depict exciting heroism with orchestras and fanfare. It is unmistakably clear that Malick's intentions are to portray Pocahontas' story as a sweeping, poetic saga — and he succeeds. But by the time the film reaches the two-hour mark, its serenity becomes fidgety and its spark is considerably burnt out.

"The New World" begins with Captain John Smith (Collin Farrell, "Alexander") poking his head out of the below-decks prison where he's being held for insubordination toward his commander (Christopher Plummer, "Syriana"). The year is 1607, and we all know what that means — the English are about to christen Jamestown. As Smith's crew approaches the shores of the new land, Malick paints us a stunning portrait of unadulterated nature. Everything from the natives' war paint to the rippling water underneath the English boats is incredible — the screen even radiates heat from the summer sounds of crickets and cicadas.

The developing storyline follows the legend. After a conflict with the natives, Smith is taken prisoner by Chief Powhatan's warriors and sentenced to die. Just as their clubs descend on Smith's head, he is rescued by the chief's daughter, who convinces her father to spare his life. Smith then temporarily abandons his duties in the fledgling Jamestown to experience life with the natives. While in this dreamlike Eden, he falls in love with Pocahontas (newcomer Q'orianka Kilcher, who does the best she can with only about 12 full-sentenced lines.) As their love unfolds, so does the strife between the natives and the Englishmen. When Smith and his men refuse to leave come spring, as they'd promised, guns are fired, arrows are thrown, and a paradise is lost forever.

Although the film shies away from depicting Smith and Pocahontas in rapturous physical love — probably because of the age difference between 30-year-old Farrell and 14-year-old Kilcher — their connection is tender and altogether spiritual. They hardly speak to one another, instead relying on explorative embraces and soft sentiments read like poems in quiet voiceovers. And while Kilcher is enchanting at times, Farrell's presence is the highlight of the film. It is difficult to imagine that Colin Farrell, he of the dubious career choices and infamous bad attitude, could carry off such sensitivity, but he does so with ease. Devoid of any trademark Farrell arrogance, his performance is delicately and surprisingly moving. He even sheds tears! More than once! And here you thought alcoholic Irishmen couldn't feel.

Unfortunately, once Farrell's Smith leaves Jamestown after a series of disasters within the colony, the film loses its luster. Heartbroken, Pocahontas tries to hold on to the dream that was once the co-existence of her beloved people and her beloved John. But her innocence is gone, and instead of becoming a moving tribute to a lost culture, she regresses into a dull, blank-eyed ghost of a woman. It is here where "The New World’s” sparse dialogue and serene landscapes become tiresome.

The introduction of John Rolfe (Christian Bale, "Batman Begins") as Pocahontas' new suitor sends the film on a largely unnecessary journey to England, which inches by on screen like a muted picture show. Sputtering toward its denouement, the film deteriorates into a hollow shell of what was once a graceful depiction of an enchanting historical tale. Not even Farrell's return to the screen after a painfully long absence can save the film from its own epic nature — by the time Pocahontas completes her final tribal gesture, reminding us for the umpteenth time that she is spiritual and ethereal, you'll never want to see another wide-angled shot of a forest for the rest of your life.