World War II shooter throws gamers into intense battle

Bullets and bombshells explode all around, while comrades and commanders fall as hot steel pierces their flesh. This is not a scene out of the latest Hollywood World War II blockbuster, but an Xbox 360 smash. "Call of Duty 2" creates an experience that gamers of all kinds can appreciate, with non-stop action worthy of inducing a heart attack.

"Call of Duty 2" throws players into the combat boots of Russian, British and American soldiers and traces each nation's path to triumph through the war. This is a fantastic approach, since the history behind the war is more developed, reaching from the Russian winter to D-Day and beyond, battling the Nazi forces from their peak to decline.

Perhaps the first aspect of "COD2" that gamers will notice are the absolutely stunning visuals. At last, we see launch titles that take advantage of the hardware's full potential. Not one single detail in character or level design was left unchecked. The massive maps really set a mood with broken walls, overturned and burning vehicles and even dead animals, all of which can be utilized as cover. When characters speak, their mouths move to match, but with a slight delay. On a minor, yet impressive, note, one can actually see the sprites breathe, as it wisps out into the cold air and dissipates. The high-definition capabilities are beginning to blur the lines of reality and the virtual world.

Artificial intelligence has apparently been overhauled. The German army is indeed a powerful force — they are adept at spotting one's commando from the furthest of distances and even better at planting strategic grenades in places where they are impossible to dodge. Even on the verge of death, foes attempt to draw a pistol for a deathblow, sometimes firing an effective shot or simply dropping dead. It is refreshing to see this high level of design instead of just having a character disappear after being defeated.

The body count really piles up during missions, leaving players pulling an Urkel and asking themselves, "Did I do that?" Being killed by the enemy poses new challenges to players who have to think more like an actual soldier rather than a mindless drone firing off weapons and respawning again and again in a "Halo"-esque scenario. To counter, ally forces are just as war-hardened. They will actually spot enemies firing on the player and come to the rescue or aid in a flank.

Of course, there are some glitches in the system. On a few rare occasions, squad members will warn of a grenade, then just stand on top of it, committing virtual suicide, or fire their weapons randomly into a wall. The enemy, too, is prone to temporary stupidity. It seldom occurs, but when it does, the Nazis will just stand and wait to be taken out, or there is a delay and they will eventually attempt to counter with five rounds in their head.

Controls are tight and responsive, not to mention easy to pick up. Veterans of the first-person shooter genre will find themselves right at home. A personal favorite unique addition is the ability to "hold your breath" while sniping. Players can hold their breath for about four seconds to steady their hand when attempting to make a shot. Again, it is the simple touches that add to the realism of the title.

Weaponry possesses a certain sense of authenticity that draws players further into the game. Each gun, of course, has its own strengths and weaknesses. The variety of arms adds a new dimension to game play, adding a more strategic element. The sheer number of enemies allows players to master rifles and snipe from afar, or barge in with grenades and close-range machine guns. This allows players to customize their experience or switch back and forth, depending on the situation at hand or personal preference.

Another strong aspect of "COD2" is sound. Each and every round fired can be heard both leaving the gun barrel and slapping into enemy bodies. Subtle effects, such as the sound a bullet makes as it flies by or the whistle and detonation of a mortar, add to the overall ambiance. A sense of accomplishment can be heard as uplifting symphonic tracks signify a mission's end, giving a much-needed confidence booster. One auditory innovation worth noting is that players must face whoever is speaking in order to hear them. While this is impressive, it can be bothersome. Not being able to hear orders can leave players running in circles and running into roadblocks, trying to follow the navigation point to the next area.

The only true fault in "COD2" is that it is quite linear. Navigation points are always present to guide gamers to the next checkpoint, and there is often only one path available to reach that area. Unless, of course, players have to desire to run through mine fields — which doesn't always work so well. Some more open-ended maps would have made this game stand out from the pack.

On the whole, "Call of Duty 2" is in a world all its own when it comes to next-generation shooters. Amazing game play coupled with a long campaign allows gamers to keep coming back for more, hour after hour.

Rating: 5 out of 5