Santana releases genre-crossing CD

Carlos Santana gives fans some new tunes mixed with his old rock sound on the newly released All That I Am, the 38th album of his impressively prolific career. This effort offers an even more diverse sound than his past work, which makes for a creative and excellent album that is perfect for both longtime fans and those just looking for a worthwhile new CD to purchase.

For three decades, the legendary guitarist has been giving his audience albums to rock with. Throughout his career, he has gradually moved from solo guitar songs with his band to songs featuring a wide range of artists who add some more spice to his unbelievable guitar skills. Since he joined the Arista Records bandwagon, his albums, Supernatural released in 1999, and Shaman, released in 2002, have brought in a whole new fan base, thanks to his collaborations with various artists. This has helped boost his record sales, and has increased Santana's worldwide recognition and adoration.

All That I Am is different than most of Santana's previous albums because he continues to add more genres to his rock style. Most of the tracks on this album feature major artists, such as Michelle Branch, Will.i.am of Black Eyed Peas, Los Lonely Boys, Anthony Hamilton and Joss Stone, to name a few. All of these artists combine to give each song a little touch of pop, soul and R&B, while Santana rocks out with his guitar.

Listeners will not be disappointed. The first single off the album, "I'm Feeling You," features Michelle Branch and is already a huge success, continuing to climb the Billboard Top 40. The single combines Santana's complex guitar sound, while Michelle Branch downplays the guitar with her soothing, yet strong vocals. The song was released in September and is a poetic, playful song about young love. It is very similar to the duo's first collaboration, "The Game of Love," released in 2002.

The first two tracks on the album, "Hermes," and "El Fuego," pay homage to the musician's original sound. They feature Santana's band and are fun songs easy to dance along to, thanks to an energetic mix of guitar and rhythm instruments.

"My Man" features Mary J. Blige and Outkast's Big Boi. This track is definitely a candidate for best on the album, combining Blige's powerfully soulful vocals with the skilled rap verses of Big Boi. Both of these components are founded upon the ultra-groovy guitar sounds of Santana, making the track a favorite.

Another great song on the album is "Just Feel Better," featuring Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler. This ballad features Tyler's strong rock voice in a softer light, speaking of relationships and their sometimes necessary demise. Santana once again plays the guitar in sync to Tyler's vocals, which makes for a powerful, emotional song all listeners can relate to on some level.

"All That I Am" certainly brings out a very good side of Santana — his ability to use intricate guitar skills and mold them to the diverse collaborators that feature on his album. These collaborations have worked to create modern sounds that bring a spin that is different from most albums out in stores these days. Without a doubt, this is probably one of the best albums of the year and certainly an important addition to any collection.

Grade: A