Entertaining a cappella group to rock Madison

Let's face it; having grown up in the '90s, we all know that PBS was never considered the "cool" thing to watch. However, the vocal stylings of a five-man group based out of Rhode Island jazzed up the network every weekday afternoon. As the house band for "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" they helped put the "Miss" in misdemeanor and all it took were three simple words …

"Do it Rockapella!"

Really, what hasn't Rockapella done? In their 18 years together, the group has released 20 albums; they've harmonized in jingles for popular brands like Folgers and toured across the country and around the world.

Now, to add yet another item to their growing list of accomplishments, the five-man vocal powerhouse is set to grace the stage of the Wisconsin Union Theater Sept. 22 and 23 — no prior knowledge of world capitols required.

The concerts mark Rockapella's return to Madison after playing the Orpheum last December. Madison is just one stop along the a cappella group's 30-city nationwide tour that kicked off in Slippery Rock, Pa., last week.

Fans can expect a fresh new sound in the group's new material. Their fall 2005 American tour line-up boasts such classics as "Rock the Boat" and "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," as well as original material that is sure to get the audience's feet tapping and hands clapping along. Additional infectious harmonies from the tour can be found on the group's CD release Smilin'.

On Smilin,' the group adds their own unique flair to fun favorites like "Here Comes the Sun," "Summertime Blues" and "Surfin' Safari," all arranged by the group's high tenor Scott Leonard.

Leonard also played a hand in writing other catchy tracks on the album, such as "Flamingo Sing" and "Smile in My Heart," which keep the album's light-hearted momentum going.

His arrangements, which blend a dash of pop and soul, are accompanied by his four other talented group members: tenor Kevin Wright, vocal percussionist Jeff Thacher, bassist George Baldi and their newest addition, tenor John K. Brown, each with an exciting story of their own.

Wright came to Rockapella after an impressive stint on Broadway during which he starred in "Les Misérables" and "Jesus Christ Superstar." The group discovered Baldi while he was singing in a Universal Studios stage show. He also had a brush with fame as a member of the group Unique Attraction, a group that later came into the limelight under the name Boyz II Men. Brown's smooth voice has worked the stages of Broadway, Disney and alongside Phil Collins and Julie Andrews. Finally, Thacher came to the group after intense training at the famous Berklee College of Music.

The tenor trio Leonard, Wright and Brown combines to form a smooth melody unlike any other while Baldi contributes a soothing bass that drops to tones so low they seem to defy science. Perhaps the most amazing sounds of the group spring from the lips of vocal percussionist Jeff Thacher who the group touts as a "freak of nature" due to his unparalleled ability to project punchy beats and symbol taps.

After 18 years of performing, Rockapella certainly knows how to work the stage. Audiences will be dazzled by high-energy, original arrangements by the group that helped bring the a cappella genre to exciting new levels over the past two decades.

For those interested in feeding their a cappella craving, tickets are still available at the Wisconsin Union Theater box office or online for both Thursday and Friday night's shows. Tickets are $15 for University of Wisconsin-Madison students, $18 for other students and $28 for the general public. The group will be joined by the UW's own Madhatters at Thursday night's performance and Redefined will open up the show on Friday night.