British rockers draw from variety of influences

Dark, daring and different are the three words that come to mind when listening to The Coral's fourth album, The Invisible Invasion. This Indie-rock group from the small town of Hoylake, on England's west coast, is no stranger to the music scene. Now in their early and mid-twenties, the band members started playing together in 1996 — with most of the band having been together since their days at Hilbre High School. In pursuit of their music careers, all seven members of the band dropped out of college and moved into an abandoned shelter by the sea.

While waiting for their "big break," the band practiced and smoked between working and cutting demos. Now, years later with four albums under their belt, these young British hopefuls have definitely found their niche as a mysterious band with an unexpected sound. One of their most intriguing qualities is the band's ability to successfully infuse elements of pop into their mostly rock motif. Once judged by critics as throwing in every type of music into their albums, The Coral have definitely toned it down, seeming much more content with their choice of sticking to a mostly '60s folk sound on this album.

The band's inspiration comes from all over, including bands from the past, like The Beach Boys and The Doors, as well as more current rock bands. In addition to other bands, The Coral also gets inspiration from cultural events. For instance, things such as the American Civil War, the WWF and Hemingway have all been cited as points of inspiration for this eccentric band. "Inspiration is absolutely everywhere," stated James Skelly, vocalist, when asked for the band's biography.

There is a melancholy and cynical theme to most of the songs on this album. "Something Inside Of Me," one of the better songs on the album, is a perfect example of this. In conjunction with The Coral's other songs, it combines quirky lyrics with a catchy beat that would easily appease even the pickiest listener. Other songs on the album, like "A Warning to the Curious," "She Sings the Mourning" and "In the Morning," showcase an obscure and skeptical view of falling in love and life in general. James Skelly's lyrics give each song a rather eerie undertone. "In the Morning's" interesting lyrics and upbeat sound are definitely worth mentioning, especially since it is one of the most popular tracks on the album, hitting No.1 on the United Kingdom playlist charts. All the songs on the album combine a casual melody with thought-provoking lyrics that make this album perfect for listening to while relaxing, studying or just hanging out.

The Coral's laid back approach to making music is a welcome release from many bands today that try too hard to achieve what The Coral does so easily. In other words, they have achieved a truly unique blend of genres that combine many different sounds without being classified or pigeonholed into one specific area. Their sound is truly groundbreaking, stylizing in areas others would never stride. While some see The Coral's ability to diversify a valuable asset, others view it as their biggest downfall and the reason for the band's relative obscurity.

Despite the band's success in the United Kingdom and strong support from fans and critics, there is little faith in the band elevating its status in the United States. The prediction among many in the music industry is that The Coral's different and unique sound is too far removed from what people are willing to accept. Although the prognosis for this album is dismal, it is still the best release to date from The Coral and is definitely worth buying or at least downloading.

Grade: B