Friends survive dating dilemma

Oh, college … four years of meeting new people everyday, four years of flirting with people at the bars every night, four years of living with your best buddies 24-7 and four (or five) years of drinking every week — without being judged and with fewer brain cells.

Not the most conducive environment for having a boyfriend or a girlfriend.

But somehow, between all the drunken dancing and random romps, something happens to a few of us … gasp! We actually start seriously dating someone. Slowly, a bad feeling fills the stomachs of those we know and a dark cloud settles over our group of friends. Nights of picking up hotties at the bar are tainted with the idea of a significant other traveling along with us and visions of weddings and babies fill our friends' heads.

Although we are happy about our new-found lover, it quickly becomes a catch-22.

We gain an amazing boyfriend or a girlfriend but as our priorities switch, it can come with a side of attitude, jokes and criticism from friends and roommates. We may love our friends, but we also want to spend time with our new sugar pie.

If you have friends that fully support and understand your change in priorities, then that's great. But when some guys take their girlfriend out for a romantic date instead of drinking beer with their buddies and when females leave "girls night" early to cuddle with their man, all hell can break loose. While catching a movie with a boyfriend may sometimes earn an "Awww, you two are so cute," there are relationships when a date with a girlfriend immediately gets a roll of the eyes from friends. Dicks, no chicks, right? Or was it chicks, no dicks?

When a couple breaks up, confetti flies out the doors of bars, fireworks explode over the dorms and wine flows out of boxes. Get ready for the college campus' struggle against relationships. Whether single or dating, males and females have typical reactions to other's relationships.

When a guy's entourage makes fun of his relationship with his girlfriend, it is only because they want their guy friend back. The same guys who make fun of him for holding hands with his girlfriend wish they could frolic down State Street hand-in-hand with a hot chick too … or at least with him. They miss having a video game partner and on top of that, guys can be assholes to each other, especially when they're not getting laid.

When a guy views his girlfriend's friendships with other girls, he should be aware that they can range anywhere from girlfriend-like, to sisterly, to motherly. Some girlfriends will get angry and "break up" when their girlfriend starts dating a guy. Some will be sad if she doesn't watch the O.C. with them because she is at the Brewers game with her boyfriend, but they will get over it when she goes dancing with them Friday night. And, other girlfriends will be overly excited about their girl's new man and will invite him over for dinner and ask about his family.

Whatever the reactions are, it's time to make a compromise: it's hard to understand others' relationships. Everyone has a different dating style and everyone's relationship is different. Although everyone here at the University of Wisconsin is in college, we are all at different dating stages in our lives — some are engaged, some haven't had sex, some have a child, some are single, some are dating older men and some like to bring home a different undergrad every night.

Why does he put up with her? Do they ever spend time together sober? Why is Katie Holmes engaged to Tom Cruise? Why do we even care?

What we do know is there is a difference between relationships and friendships. Relationships require work, time and commitment. It's a big deal to call someone your boyfriend. It's a big deal to call someone your friend — and I don't mean Facebook friends. But most people expect friends to be there for them at all times — even if they haven't seen each other in a few weeks.

A true friendship can last even when people are on two different sides of the country, or when two people haven't seen each other for 10 years. A relationship requires more effort, affection and communication.

Although we may not agree with our friends and their relationship choices, it isn't the end of the world. As long as friends enjoy themselves while in a relationship, what's the problem? After all, you might end up choosing to watch "The Notebook" with a date next week instead of watching "Entourage" with the buddies.

Everyone, whether single, married or dating, wants to puke just a little bit when they hear a couple calling each other "baby" or when a cute couple walks by holding hands — even if they do it themselves. No vomit gesture necessary. Let them bask in coupledom because you know if it were you holding someone's hand, you would be happy too.

Aubre is a senior double majoring in journalism and communication arts and is currently extreme-dating a hot stud on campus, but still likes to go dancing at the KK with her seven roommates. She can be reached at [email protected].