De Nova fun disc, nothing amazing

It's been said that what goes around comes around. In fashion, one might be referring to platform wedges, oversized plastic beads and boho hippie-style dresses that graced runways decades ago and that are now being seen in cities all across America. In music, one would definitely be referring to the retro Brit Pop-rock that took the 1960s by storm — the same rock that is blaring from stereos and speakers this side of the millennium. Bands like Rooney and The Thrills have brought back the era with ease, though not quite as well as Chicago-based band The Redwalls. With De Nova, the group's second album, listeners are taken back almost four decades to a time when slang included "bitchin'," everything British was cool and mood rings donned the fingers of more than a few teenagers.

The quartet from Illinois has been together for years now, with brothers Logan and Justin Baren leading the way on guitar and bass, respectively, alongside guitarist Andrew Langer and drummer Ben Greeno. Dressing the part, the band members channel their musical heroes with shaggy hair and tailored mod suits, delivering music in a surprisingly addictive way with encompassing guitar riffs, great rhythm and undeniable energy.

The band, barely out of high school, denounces the punk rock played by other groups their age and jumps straight back to the '60s with pumped up and catchy, if not slightly overdone, retro rock. Says Logan Baren on the band's website, "We never fit in, but rock 'n' roll's not a dated thing. There are other bands out there right now doing it as well, like Coldplay, The Strokes or Brian Jonestown Massacre." With De Nova, The Redwalls showcase a balanced mix of pop, R&B and rock 'n'roll, all under the umbrella of an era characterized by "American Bandstand", Twiggy and go-go boots.

Deviating from their first album attempt, The Redwalls show increasing growth under the wing of Capitol Records. De Nova features a newly added horn section that only serves to support the group's retro vibe. Boasting 13 tracks, the album reflects a blur of influences including The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and most notably, The Beatles. The band kick-starts the album with "Robinson Crusoe," which features horns reminiscent of Cap'n Geech & the Shrimp Shack Shooters as seen in the 1996 film "That Thing You Do." The high-energy musicality of the album only continues to pick up from there, featuring "Rock 'n' Roll," a track true to its title, and "On My Way," the kind of pop anthem one would expect to hear in the background of the latest Seth/Summer or Ryan/Marissa drama in Orange County.

Capitalizing on the sort of simplicity present in the 1960s, "It's Alright" features easy, simple lyrics. "Well you don't want to go to school, it's alright / Well now, you're tired of playing the rules, it's alright." Both "Thank You" and "Front Page" expose a more laid-back side to the band, although even in a relaxed state, The Redwalls never deviate from their energized rock 'n' roll core. Also in tune with the '60s, De Nova showcases a certain level of rebellion and social commentary. In "Falling Down," a song penned in response to criticism of the band for using profanity on a live broadcast, Baren bashes the FCC singing, "In times like these, you better watch what you say / Watch them take your f-cking rights away." Commentary on glorification present in military TV advertisements can be heard in the acoustic Bob Dylan-esque "Glory of War."

Having toured with bands like Oasis, Keane, The Zutons and Rooney, The Redwalls are now embarking on another road stint with OK Go, fellow members of the Capitol Records family. Their recorded energy undoubtedly transfers to live performance, bringing back the excitement of concert eras gone by.

As a whole, The Redwalls are well put-together and really quite true to their retro influence and style. Taking advantage of the '60s craze present in today's indie rock world, the band presents a fun and, admittedly, addicting record. There is a point, though, when the flashbacks become a little old, the songs channel something too dated and the Fab Four impressions lose their appeal. Despite this, De Nova is a fun album worthy of a few spins in the CD player.

Grade: BC