Rockstar Games finds itself deep in hot coffee

Ryan:

Fear not, gamers everywhere: Nerd Alert is back and better than ever. Last spring marked the birth of the best source of breaking video-game news, views and reviews in the Madison area. This fall, that tradition continues, with a fresh voice added into the mix. I proudly welcome Sundeep as the other half of this dynamic duo of gaming glory. Not only does Sundeep have a vast knowledge of almost every game genre, he also brings an old-school appreciation and deep love for “Zelda.”

That said, it’s time to dive into an issue that’s been all over headlines and newscasts recently. If you haven’t yet heard about the controversy surrounding “Hot Coffee” in the latest “Grand Theft Auto,” you’ll soon know everything you could want to. Sundeep, take it away.

Sundeep:

As if the “Grand Theft Auto” series hasn’t taken enough flak from lawmakers and parents for promoting violent behavior, drug use and other criminal activity, Rockstar Games may have just dug itself another hole. “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas”‘ distributor, Take2 Interactive, released a patch uncovered by game modifier Patrick Wildenborg.

The infamous “Hot Coffee” patch allows players to access hidden sex scenes buried in the game’s coding. Players are asked to increase an “excitement meter” by rhythmically moving the analog stick up and down in a thrusting motion. Face buttons change views and positions of the action at hand and, if gamers are somehow able to fill the excitement meter, they manage to, ahem, finish off the game.

Ryan:

One of the more interesting aspects of the controversy is that nobody is sure whether or not Rockstar Games purposely planted this mini-game of sorts, or whether it truly was an accident. Looking at the situation, things begin to look rather suspicious.

A couple of weeks before the mess broke open, Rockstar had just released “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas” on both Xbox and PC. Sales were strong, but the buzz surrounding the title died down more quickly than most thought it would. Just as the game’s sales seemed to be slowing, news suddenly broke that there was not only nudity, but a fully interactive sex game that was “hidden” in the title’s code. Kids, hearing there was yet another reason for their parents to discourage them from playing the game, began snatching it off store shelves.

So the big question is whether or not “Hot Coffee” was a mistake that was never supposed to be discovered or just a clever piece of viral marketing carefully designed by Rockstar. While many argue that the hot water the company found itself in over the situation wouldn’t be worth any profit they made, it’s hard to deny the publicity generated because of it is second to none.

Sundeep:

Not everyone’s keen on the sex scenes, however. Perhaps most irritated is New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. “The disturbing material in “Grand Theft Auto” and other games like it is stealing the innocence of our children and it’s making the difficult job of being a parent even harder,” Clinton said in a release. In response, Clinton has asked for new legislation aimed at giving teeth to previous legislation. The new requirements will not allow violent and sexually explicit video games to be sold to minors, lest retailers face a $5,000 penalty. Additionally, Clinton wants to introduce a new “Adult Only (AO)” rating to apply to games like “GTA:SA” instead of the current “Mature (M)” rating.

However, this is not the first time legislation of this type has been introduced. Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich took the first bold steps to combat adult-content video games with a bill that would ban the sale of such games to minors.

The whole thing seems preposterous. If your kid is playing games you don’t want him or her to play, don’t let him get the game. Simple enough. Does this really need legislation?

Then again, I don’t think that type of thing worked so well for the porn industry.

Ryan:

Consumers’ reactions have been mixed for the most part, as copies of the “Adult Only” version of the game have still been selling well. But this isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last time people get upset over graphic depictions of sex or violence in a video game.

Back in the ’90s, government officials and concerned mothers alike had field days with “Mortal Kombat” and “Doom.” People were concerned that if children played these games with glorified depictions of violence, society would cease to exist and anarchy would rule. A ratings system was put in place, and everyone was happy once more.

Now that violence isn’t as big of a deal, sex is the major issue. I remember reading how a grandmother sued Rockstar because she unknowingly exposed her grandson to graphic sexual images. She wasn’t concerned he was going to mow down hordes of people with heavy weaponry, partake in gang warfare, mug random pedestrians on the street, deal drugs and even solicit prostitutes (before he killed them, of course). But how could someone expose her poor grandson to a completely natural human activity? It’s amazing she didn’t sue Will Wright for creating a game where players not only see characters taking showers, but can watch them go to the bathroom frequently. Additionally, downloadable modes for “The Sims 2” allow gamers to view not only the full genitalia of their characters, but watch them have sex. And it’s rated Teen.

The lesson learned from this situation is little more than buyer beware. If a game presents images of murdered prostitutes, drug deals, buckets of blood and burglary, people should not be surprised that it includes sex. To claim ignorance in this situation is comparable to Charles Parsons saying he had no idea the girl wasn’t 18 — simply ridiculous.

Ryan (rgauthier@badgerherald) and Sundeep ([email protected]) are hopelessly addicted to all things involving video games. Ryan has been busy shouting obscenities at Plaxico Burress in “Madden 2006.” Sundeep, always broadening his horizons, has been playing “Gunbound.”