Piano-punk rock’s favorite son hits high note with Everything in Transit

Over the past few years, side projects along the alternative-music spectrum have become commonplace. Blink-182’s Tom and Travis had Boxcar Racer; Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard contributed to the success of The Postal Service; and now Something Corporate front man, Andrew McMahon, is taking a break from the band he has toured with for over three years to create the rocking sounds of Jack’s Mannequin.

After a two-week delay, the band released its debut album, Everything in Transit, Aug. 23, a day that signified new beginnings for the band in multiple ways. McMahon began cancer treatment that very same day.

The piano rocker was diagnosed in early June with acute lymphatic leukemia. While his condition forced him to cancel upcoming Jack’s Mannequin tour dates with a heavy heart, McMahon refused to wait any longer to release Everything in Transit — and listeners everywhere should be eternally grateful.

While skeptics argue the sound of the latest McMahon creation is nothing more than a new Something Corporate album under a new banner, that is simply not the case. True, Jack’s Mannequin showcases the same catchy piano melodies and guitar riffs listeners have come to expect from SoCo, but the tracks on the new album offer an air of maturity in lyric and sound quality. Those expecting to hear mainly sugary tracks like Leaving Through the Window‘s “Punk Rock Princess” need not purchase this album, as Jack’s Mannequin takes on deeper subjects but still manages to have some light-hearted fun.

Everything in Transit is a loosely themed album based on McMahon’s feelings and experiences upon returning home after an extended absence, a concept many college students can relate to. This is a period when relationships have changed significantly, once-solid friendships are now awkward and your whole world seems to be shifted in ways that are difficult to express. McMahon manages to effortlessly purge these emotions in each track.

With the help of co-producer Jim Wirt, who has worked with bands like Trapt and Hoobastank, McMahon was able to create a fresh sound for his new band without going overboard and crafting whining tracks reminiscent of the highly overplayed “The Reason.” Adding percussion by Motley Crüe wild man Tommy Lee further contributed to giving Everything in Transit an edgy sound.

The album starts out strong with the upbeat “Holiday from Real,” a perfect song for a summer drive, the wind blowing through your hair as you speed down with highway. The tracks only build momentum from this starting point, creating a unique blend of upbeat melodies and subdued ballads that take listeners on an exciting lyrical journey.

Jack’s Mannequin takes on a sound similar to that of Death Cab for Cutie with “Bruised,” a song where strained vocals and an upbeat tempo join forces to paint a picture of regret and a longing to change the past. Listeners can feel McMahon’s pain as he belts, “Swear I didn’t mean for it to feel like this / Like every inch of me is bruised” in each passing chorus. “Dark Blue” follows a similar theme and begs the question, “Have you ever been alone in a crowded room?” between punchy drumbeats.

“Rescued” offers a soothing ballad similar to Something Corporate’s “Globes and Maps,” where McMahon’s voice is at a tamed whisper instead of a strained plea, while “MFEO” exhibits a slight throwback to the Beach Boys in the melody.

The album comes to a perfect close with the bonus track, “Into the Airwaves,” where it seems McMahon has come to terms with his alienation at home and accepts that he no longer needs the conformity and typical lives that those around him cling to: “This fishbowl life is all they need / it’s all I needed too,” he sings in between powerful choruses.

Everything in Transit possesses only one real flaw — its 11 tracks aren’t nearly enough and leave listeners aching for more. For now, we can only wish Andrew McMahon a speedy recovery and hope this is only the beginning for Jack’s Mannequin.

Grade: A

Second Opinion

Andrew McMahon doesn’t let anything stop him. Recently diagnosed with acute lymphatic leukemia, the Something Corporate front man and now leader of side project Jack’s Mannequin has dealt with his diagnosis and treatment, all while writing, producing and publicizing Jack’s Mannequin’s premier album, Everything in Transit. The album is Something Corporate with an edge thanks to the involvement of Motley Crüe’s Tommy Lee and co-producer Jim Wirt. This collaboration has resulted in a mixture of songs that sounds more mature than past Something Corporate works, but just similar enough to remind listeners of the talent and innovation that catapulted McMahon to success in the first place. Jack’s Mannequin is a wonderful step forward for the piano-rock guru and an amazing addition to any rocker’s collection.

Grade: A

— Laura Stanelle, Associate ArtsEtc. Editor