New take on beloved children’s story delights young, old fans alike

When it comes to sex appeal, amazing tricks and pyrotechnics, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” has a little of everything: Oompa Loompas clad in vinyl — check. Roughly 200 trained squirrels — check. Fireworks and flaming musical dolls — check. But the excitement doesn’t end there.

Moviegoers seeking a bit of nostalgia can still expect tantrums from the spoiled Veruca Salt, song and dance and a few Everlasting Gobstoppers, but with a darker twist.

Known for his wildly imaginative movie “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” director Tim Burton, who also brought us “Edward Scissorhands” and “Big Fish,” takes his audience on a wild tour through the inner workings of the Wonka factory, a place where everything is edible. In this psychedelic fantasyland, chocolate cascades down waterfalls and fills pools. Even trees and grass are confectionary concoctions, in sharp contrast to the cold, gray outside world. Stopping at nothing to create the perfect blend of dream and reality, Burton even had 200 squirrels trained to crack nuts and place them on a conveyor belt, rather than using a digital alternative.

Based on the classic Roald Dahl book, the film tells the story of reclusive candy man Willy Wonka, who, after years of living behind closed doors, has decided to open his factory to five children and their guardians. To gain entry, each child must find a “golden ticket” that has been placed inside the wrappers of select Wonka chocolate bars distributed around the world.

Freddie Highmore (“Finding Neverland”) stars as Charlie Bucket, a boy whose family is so impoverished that all four of his grandparents share a bed. Oddly enough, Charlie is perhaps the closest to “normal” of any of the children who find golden tickets.

Just as in the film’s 1971 predecessor, Charlie is joined by Augustus Gloop (Philip Wiegratz), who is, as his name implies, a glutton, with a bar of chocolate in one hand and a bratwurst in the other; the whiny, spoiled brat, Veruca Salt (Julia Winter); Mike Teavee (Jordan Fry), an avid shoot-’em-up video gamer; and, finally, Violet Beauregarde (Annasophia Robb), the gum-snapping powerhouse.

As can be expected, Johnny Depp delivers a spectacular performance as Willy Wonka, making him not only mysterious but slightly creepy. With a pasty complexion, toothy grin and bob haircut, Depp adds a Michael Jackson air to the already quirky Willy Wonka persona. Unlike Jackson, however, Mr. Wonka does not have a great interest in children — in fact, he seems terrified of them. Wonka appears to lack social skills altogether and even resorts to using note cards when speaking to his guests. Depp’s awkward mannerisms and diction combined with ridiculous phrases such as “Good morning, starshine. The earth says hello,” help make his character stand out as the complete nut Willy Wonka should be.

However, those hoping to see green-haired Oompa Loompas may be disappointed. Instead of orange men in overalls, a tribe of little people donning vinyl jumpsuits maintain the Wonka factory. As an interesting side-note, all of the tiny workers are played by Deep Roy, who has worked with Burton before in “Big Fish.” In place of the original “Oompa Loompa Song” are varied disco and metal medleys, in which the seemingly mini versions of the Slim Jim man head bang and dazzle the audience with a rousing synchronized swim.

Another addition to the earlier version is a back story detailing the life of a young Willy Wonka and his strict, candy-loathing father (Christopher Lee, “Star Wars: Episode III”). While it is initially humorous to watch a child with braces and oversized headgear wander around, these flashbacks both detract from the mystique that has always surrounded the character of Wonka and depart from the conventions of Roald Dahl’s original work.

Despite its minor flaws, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” captures the key elements of Willy Wonka and his factory while standing out as one of the better remakes of the summer. With gorgeous scenery, great acting and the perfect blend of wit and whimsy, the film provides a delicious treat for viewers young, old or anywhere in between.

Grade: AB

Second Opinion

It has been said that one shouldn’t “mess with a good thing.” In the world of cinema, this often refers to remakes, with the original almost always the better movie. In the case of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” messing with a good thing proved to be a good move. Directed by Tim Burton, this take on Roald Dahl’s wacky story of Wonka and his “world of pure imagination” presents the same world with darker undertones, providing a more mature and pleasing film. Expertly cast and exquisitely designed, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” is a movie that may shatter the visions of some filmgoers seeking the fluffiness of the 1971 adaptation of Dahl’s work, but a movie that should be recognized for what it is: a film with great heart and style.

Grade: B

— Laura Stanelle, Associate ArtsEtc. Editor