Best Video Games of 2004

The past year has turned out an excellent year to be a video game fan. There are more incredible titles released this year than many previous years combined. However, as we reach the end of the year, there comes a time to reflect upon the games of the past 12 months that has taken so much time away from the real world. From groundbreaking original titles to revamped sequels, which ones stand out and which ones will be remembered for years to come?

These are the best games of 2004. Period. We do not categorize them based upon genre or console, nor rank them arbitrarily amongst one another. Instead, these are the games that any self-respecting video game enthusiast must be sure not to miss. These titles were chosen based upon a combination of judging their gameplay, visuals, sound and level of fun. Luckily for gamers, each of these titles are exemplary in each of these categories. Universally enjoyable, each of these titles is excellent in it’s own right, some downright revolutionary and each worth your hard-earned dollar.

**Half-Life 2**

by Zach Stern

As the sequel to the genre-defining “Half-Life,” Valve had a large reputation to live up to. Now, after years in the making and a highly publicized year-long delay, “Half-Life 2” has arrived, and indeed it is the second coming. Photo-realism is the only word worthy of describing the graphics in this game, as one could look around for hours at the incredibly dense amount of detail present in every single object one sees. If you click to read more, all you see will be realistic graphics, and that makes the game special. Featuring the most realistic looking characters ever featured in a game as well as the most stunning water effects ever created, “Half-Life 2” would bring eyesight to the blind.

Nevertheless, visuals alone aren’t enough to make a great game — it had damn well better be fun, and “Half-Life 2” shines here as well. Integrating the most realistic physics system ever implemented in a three-dimensional first-person shooter game world, almost everything you see can be interacted with in some way. Boards of wood can be broken at multiple points, knocking out the support from under ledges or bridges as the enemies tumble to their death. About half way through the game, players acquire the Gravity Gun, allowing them to pick up and throw any object within their reach. Picking up a saw and tossing it through a row of five zombies and slicing each of them in half is truly a remarkable sight. Added on top of the thrilling gameplay is an interesting story, with lots of twists and turns along the way up to and including the very last moment. For those who have PCs powerful enough to support it, “Half-Life 2” is a new classic and a must own.

**Katamari Damacy**

by Christopher j Ewing

You are the son of the King of All Cosmos, basically the son of God, and you operate a ball, your “Katamari” (which looks like a huge dog toy) which collects objects. Your careless father drunkenly destroyed the stars and the only way to restore the night sky is to roll up enough objects in your katamari, (like a snowball gaining mass as it rolls downhill) to create new stars. You start out at only a few centimeters tall, rolling up matches and orange slices, but eventually you start rolling up cars, buildings and huge landmasses as the katamari grows.

Namco’s Japanese import, Katamari Damacy is the most unique videogame to hit the States this year. The refreshingly non-violent, non-genre game is completely immersed in a beautifully glitched-out pop soundtrack, irreverent humor, space mushrooms, Technicolor psychedelia and the first truly endearing virtual philosophy. Watching or playing Katamari creates an eerie, quasi-religious catatonia that’s as addictive as it is entertaining.

**Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater**

by Ryan J. Gauthier

Hideo Kojima’s third release in the “Metal Gear Solid” franchise expands where previous entries have fallen short. Game play is tighter than ever, with several new aspects (camouflage and close-quarters combat) being introduced into the same “tactical espionage action.” The graphics are some of the best to be found on the Playstation 2, with dynamic weather effects and gorgeous cinematics. While gamers may at times still feel as though they are watching the game more than they are playing it, the story is top-notch. The story can be convoluted and the action doesn’t become all that great until an hour into the game, but there’s still nothing more satisfying than donning the headband of everyone’s favorite bad-ass with a heart of gold, Snake.

**World of Warcraft**

by Ali Hassan

Massively multiplayer online role-play game junkies and fans of the “Warcraft” series of real-time strategy games alike have been treated to a new vice with the recent release of “World of Warcraft,” set in the fantasy world of Azeroth four years after where “Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos” leaves off.

Unlike previous Warcraft games in which you built and fortified cities, raised armies, and waged war by commanding a host of different units in battle, “World of Warcraft” puts you in control of the development of a single character and thrusts you into a vast and persistent online world full of monsters and other real people. Also unlike previous “Warcraft” games, this one will cost you $15/month to play. Nevertheless, the game sold more copies on its first day than any other in PC gaming history and to meet demand its number of servers has been more than doubled since its release. The game is as enjoyable as it is addictive, set a timer so you don’t forget to eat.

**Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas**

by Rick Stoner

In a spin-off from its financially successful but controversial 128-bit debut “Grand Theft Auto III,” Rockstar games released “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas” on Playstation 2 this winter to much anticipation. The gaming franchise, known to video game buffs more for its rich plots and created environments than its reputation of violence, centers its latest game around C.J., a young man leaving Liberty City (New York City) to return to his home city of San Andreas (all of Southern California). The one-player game starts in an early 90’s urban setting, complete with all the gang violence and ebonics Snoop Dogg told us about when we were growing up. As the game progresses, C.J. gains more respect as the player passes missions and gains allies. The game encompasses most of California’s geographical and cultural traits and is extremely addicting. With a soundtrack containing some of the early 90’s biggest hits and voice-overs from Samuel L. Jackson, David Cross, Andy Dick, Ice-T and Charlie Murphy, “San Andreas,” not only exceeds its hype but also sets a new standard for video games embracing a specific era of society.

**Sid Meier’s Pirates!**

by Zach Stern

When one thinks of video games pioneers, a few names come to mind, but none are as prolific as the mighty Sid Meier. Creator of “Civilization” and “Alpha Centauri,” Sid Meier has been creating excellence for most of our lives. Each of his games is not only addicting but also intelligent, requiring the player to strategize and calculate their every move. This year, Meier releases an update to his classic title “Pirates!,” and considering the game has had no competition whatsoever over the past decade and a half since the original title, the upgrade is a welcome addition to any gamer’s library.

Players take on the role of a young man who’s family has been captured by unknown forces, as he sets out to both free his family and make a name for himself. However, after choosing which nation you’d wish to serve (at first) and a few other choices, players are free to do as they please. See that English trade ship over there? Go take it. Want to take over a French port and give control of it to the Spanish? Done. The game features a dynamic social interaction system as well, with your actions having visible consequences with the relations you have with the other nations. Piss off one nation and you’ll become its enemy’s friend. With a wide variety of ship selections, exciting battle sequences and highly moldable game world, “Pirates!” is a voyage every gamer should take.

**Halo 2**

by Ryan J. Gauthier

Following up 2001’s blockbuster hit, Bungie Software had another ace up their sleeves with “Halo 2.” The game perfects the fast-paced shooting shenanigans of its predecessor, while expanding upon the popular multiplayer portion. Players can now take part in massive online death matches with up to sixteen of their fellow Halo fanatics using “X-box Live.” The single-player campaign is fairly similar to that of the first game, throwing floods of enemies into the levels for players to mow down. Graphics have a really polished look to them, including some incredibly detailed environments. The story is still fairly generic and Master Chief is quite possibly the corniest character in all of gaming, but the action found in “Halo 2” is unrivaled.

**Metroid Prime 2: Echoes**

by Colin Brooker

“Echoes” does very little in terms of changing what its predecessor built in terms of game play, as there was really no need. What makes the “Prime” series so great is atmosphere. This is, above all, the game’s greatest strength. In it’s combining of old and new, the game reaches what will hopefully be the future of all video games. There are no long cut scenes that tell the story in between the gameplay itself. The player becomes Samus. What you do as her reveals the story. It doesn’t take half hour to get into actual game play. Presenting the story this way makes the game far more like interactive cinema that you star in then just sitting through endless cut scenes telling you the story.

Hopefully, others will learn from Nintendo in that department.

**Burnout 3: Takedown**

by Zach Stern

With realistic racers such as Gran Turismo and Project Gotham Racing becoming ever more popular, arcade style racing seemed to be a distant memory. “Burnout 3” changes everything. A force majeure, “Burnout 3” overwhelms the player with its incredible speed, beautiful graphics and flawless controls. Running at an unflinching 60 frames per second, without apology, “Burnout 3” will shock and awe any who see it.

Racing around crowded city streets, players are actively encouraged to do their best to takedown other competitors in any way imaginable. By taking them out, players are not only treated to a gorgeous Matrix-like slow motion visual of the crash, but also gain a speed boost as well. Through this clever use of incentives, “Burnout 3” encourages players to be incredibly aggressive and to take risks, particularly because of a new feature to the series known as “aftertouch.” Foregoing any sense of realism, if you end up crashing your own ride, the game allows you to slow down time and direct the motion of your vehicle after the crash. Crafty players will be able to direct their cars into other racers, scoring aftertouch takedowns that end up giving the player even more boost power. In addition to the standard fare racing, the game features an extensive crash mode, in which your sole purpose is to cause as much damage and destruction possible at a given intersection within the game. All in all, “Burnout 3” is not only the best racing game this year, it is also a game that will restore one’s hope in the idea that racing games can be about fast speeds and fun, not tedium.

**Ninja Gaiden**

by Ryan J. Gauthier

After almost 16 years of exile, Ryu Hayabusa returns to gracefully kick ass as only a ninja can in “Ninja Gaiden.” Team Ninja capitalizes on the fact that gamers love to beat other people up, especially when they can feel cool while doing it. The game’s perfect controls allow players to run up walls, flip behind a group of enemies, fluidly take them out and quickly move on to something else with a few button presses. While action dominates much of the game, there are also some complex puzzle-solving sections to be found. “Ninja Gaiden” provides one of the most enjoyable experiences to be found on consoles this year, provided gamers aren’t driven insane by its frustrating level of difficulty.