Simon, Garfunkel reunite on new live album

Though it is unknown why they broke up to begin with, Simon and Garfunkel have returned to grace a newer generation with their time-tested sounds with their new live album, Old Friends.

Through the ’60s and ’70s Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel created an upbeat, almost pop, folk sound that swept the nation. Then, after more than a decade of releasing acclaimed albums like Bridge Over Troubled Water, the duo disbanded. They came together sporadically throughout the next two decades to perform at concert benefits and tours. Now, however, they’ve renewed a bond that was once forgotten with their Old Friends Tour.

The two became friends when they both acted in their 6th grade production of “Alice in Wonderland” in their hometown of Queens, NY. Simon played the White Rabbit and felt that to be a leading role of the play. Garfunkel was the Cheshire Cat and wrote in the CD insert “It was a supporting role, a very important role.”

Influenced by the Every Brothers, they first released a song called “Hey, Schoolgirl” under the name of Tom and Jerry. Soon after this, they found their folk roots and debuted their album Wednesday Morning 3 AM in 1964, which didn’t gain much popularity. They were discovered and picked up by producer Tom Wilson who added electric sounds to “The Sound of Silence” and created a whole new dimension that breathed life into the duo.

Soon they released several albums, including Sound of Silence, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme in 1966 and “The Graduate” soundtrack in 1968. After releasing a few more albums, the duo split, except for the famed concert for glasnost in Central Park in 1981. This Old Friends live album has been called their second coming and shows that they are still as good as they were over three decades ago.

The album is a double disc set, so as to be sure to include all of the favorite hits from “The Boxer,” to “Cecilia” and of course, “The Sound of Silence.” The first disc opens with one of their old hits “Old Friends/Bookends” which rings true of the tour and shows that there is still camaraderie among the two and that any animosity has long been set aside.

Their voices are deeper and more somber than their previous work, showing how time has passed and matured the two. It adds to the feel of the album, giving an air of wisdom and serenity that they may not have possessed earlier in their careers. They are still masters of the guitar; with soft, high-pitched notes plucked ever so gently. They vary slightly, the intonations of the voice during certain songs, but not much has changed from the way they were, almost as though they never left.

Although they have gone in separate directions, they can still come together with a fluidity that may not have been expected from estranged band mates. On many of the tracks you will find only their peaceful voices and their guitars. Some of the tracks do have background instrumentals from a band, but the true sound of their long-ago days can be heard when they are only supported by their trusty six-strings.

It seems that, perhaps, they’ve slowed down a bit. The songs have a slower tempo and a mellower feel. It is true that their songs were never the most upbeat, but it feels as if they’ve come to realize there is no need to be a in a rush, and these songs reflect that mentality. With gentle beats, softer singing and peaceful strumming, the band has come back together with a little more wisdom and a little more time to explore themselves and their past.

I give this album an A