Original hip hop kings return with decent disc

With the recent onset and rising popularity of “gangsta” rappers such as 50 Cent and Eminem, the idea of a true hip-hop record is quickly becoming a thing of the past. However, fans that see hip-hop as truly an art form, not an aggressive and flagrant medium of expression, will surely recall the New York-based group Brand Nubian.

The Islam inspired rappers Sadat X, Lord Jamar and group leader Grand Puba, first hit the scene in 1990 with their classically Afrocentric LP, One For All. In a style reminiscent of Public Enemy and A Tribe Called Quest, Nubian delivered all of the elements that helped this era of rappers bring hip-hop to the forefront of American airwaves.

Shortly after the release of One For All, Grand Puba left the group to pursue a solo career, citing discontent over his visibility within the group. While Lord Jamar and Sadat tried to carry on the Brand Nubian name with the release of In God We Trust, Puba achieved solo success with the release of Reel to Reel in 1992. However, Puba has not been the only member of Nubian to achieve fame outside of the group. Lord Jamar is probably best known for holding a recurring role on HBO’s gritty television prison drama Oz.

Although the face of hip-hop has changed greatly since the release of One For All, Brand Nubian has continued to stay true to the roots and the consciousness that once existed within this genre of music. With the release of their new CD, Fire In The Hole, a newly reunited Nubian reminds listeners why the group is still one of the most underrated and unappreciated hip-hop acts of its time.

Full of insight and story telling, Fire In The Hole also reserves room for catchy beats, hard hitting battle raps, comedic punch lines, and classical pun-driven rhymes found on tracks such as “Young Son” and “Soldier’s Story.” On the track “Got a Knot,” Nubian delivers the refreshing line, “I’m not the richest / Not by far / And I ain’t got 24 inches on the car,” reminding their listeners that hip hop is not all about the flash and flair too often displayed on MTV. The inquisitive and insightful track “Ooh Child” also delivers thought-provoking lyrics paired up with a melodic and uplifting chorus over a nice piano driven backdrop.

Unfortunately for Brand Nubian, the fact that the nature of hip-hop music has changed so dramatically within the past 10 years often makes their style appear a bit outdated, and thus explains why it lacks the popular appeal of many of their fellow artists. To the average listener, only versed in radio rap music, Nubian lacks the high tech production and progressive styles that make many of today’s top selling artists so popular. Furthermore, seemingly space-filling and irrelevant lyrics betray themselves on a few tracks such as “Always Mine.” However, fans of early 1990’s hip-hop will find Nubian’s unwillingness to conform to these modern standards refreshing.

Although Brand Nubian still lacks the key musical elements and mind blowing lyrics that will set their latest release back from that of other hip-hop groups such as the Roots (The Tipping Point), their newest release will defiantly earn a spot in the disc changer. With a slightly updated style of lyricism, heavy sampling and catchy hooks, Fire In The Hole is an above average disc that will almost certainly be appreciated by true hip-hop heads.

Grade: B