‘Grawtest’ hits

by Callie Bloem, ArtsEtc. Writer

The title track of Chariot appropriately opens with, “This is the start of something good; don’t you agree?”

And people most certainly will.

Gavin DeGraw’s debut album, Chariot, originally released in July 2003, is an impressive first album. This 11-song recording is a noble first attempt, bound to expand his already loyal fan base.

The 26-year-old from upstate New York mixes acoustic guitar with piano and wonderfully emotional lyrics about love and life.

DeGraw grew up with a musical family. After winning a music scholarship to Ithaca, he dropped out after one semester. He transferred to the prestigious Berklee School of Music in Boston, only to discover that music school wasn’t for him.

He relocated to Manhattan in 1998, where he performed small gigs and slowly acquired a healthy fan base. After faking his way into a prestigious open mic night in a New York City club, DeGraw impressed the crowd — and the club’s owner, so much that the next day she signed on as his manager.

Although he was quickly offered a record deal with a major recording company, he turned it down to instead keep developing himself as an artist. In 2002, DeGraw was signed by J Records and began working with producer Mark Endret, who had previously worked with Tonic and Fiona Apple.

Chariot‘s focus and depth prove how driven and determined Gavin DeGraw is as an artist. Instead of making a trendy album with a big-name record company, he instead decided to be true to himself and create music his way.

His emotionally powerful and intimate lyrics make listening to the album a personal experience. His raw emotion is shown in every song. From his moving piano ballads (“More Than Anyone,” “Belief,” “Follow Through”) to edgy rock and roll songs (“I Don’t Wanna Be,” “Chemical Party”), and everything in between, Gavin’s intensity never waivers.

Each song is amazingly well-constructed and fully imagined, from the opening track, “Follow Though” (a beautifully unashamed song of love and need) to the last, “Overrated” — a great way to end the album.

One song that casual listeners may recognize is “Follow Through,” the theme song for the WB’s latest teen drama, “One Tree Hill.” This powerful song will work its way into any music lover’s subconscious, making them sing along for weeks.

“Follow Through” is the ultimate song about staying true to yourself, as DeGraw sings, “All I have to do/ Is think of me and I have peace in mind/ I’m tired of looking round rooms/ Wondering what I’ve got to do/ Or who I’m supposed to be/ I don’t want to be any thing other than me.”

DeGraw shows his more comedic and light side in “Chemical Party,” with lyrics such as “You’re just too high to see the point/ You think your name is Pass the Joint.” With this pointed and comedic stoner criticism, it’s hard not to laugh along with him.

All 11 songs on the album present stories that anyone can relate to. DeGraw’s mature sound conveys the idea that he’s been in the business forever. He has a powerful and raspy voice, self-written poetic lyrics (“I don’t have to be anyone other/ Than the birth of two souls in one/ Part of where I’m going is knowing where I’m coming from”) and excellent instrumentals.

Chariot is a great way for Gavin DeGraw to start his career — and an album that no one should miss out on.

Grade: A