Suck on a sweet brew at the Flea… in Kansas City!

By Stewart Kirkham, ArtsEtc. Writer

A lot of bars offer more than just drinks. Food service, games, dancing and karaoke tend to be the most common. On occasion you may find something a little more unusual, like a mechanical bull for example. But when you hear of something so unique and off the wall, it merits further investigation.

My recent travels have taken me to Kansas City, Mo. On my first trip here, I heard about a popular bar and restaurant that also featured an indoor flea market. To top it off, I was also told that this interesting destination offered the best burgers in KC.

While good drinks and decent food can often appear on the same stage, the added component of a flea market immediately caught my attention. This is something I had to experience!

Appropriately named for both its location in town and its function, the Westport Flea Market Bar and Grill is unlike any place I have ever seen. Housed in a nearly windowless large, rectangular-shaped building, the Flea, as locals affectionately call it, is nothing short of pleasant surprise.

On first glance inside, you notice the numerous booths hawking items like vintage clothes, toys, and all sorts of bric-a-brac. The stands are organized along the perimeter of the space, and separated by floor-to-ceiling chain link.

It looks a little suspicious, if not surreal, but you have to go with the flow. Beyond the barrier is a spacious bar and restaurant, and judging by its size, it is clear that the priority here is not selling grandma’s vintage teacups.

In business for over 23 years, the Flea celebrated its birthday April 1 by offering 75-cent drafts. Fortunately, the prices during the rest of the year are similarly affordable.

Happy hour is a sweet deal. Domestic taps are $1.75. Featuring 23 selections, it is hard to go wrong. PBR, which pleases this Wisconsin guy to no end, along with other top-notch choices, like the locally brewed Boulevard, or Fat Tire from Colorado, are available.

That said, Bud Light is the reigning popular favorite. Remember, this is Missouri, and the shadow of St. Louis looms large in this state.

Outside of beer, the standard Jack & Cokes, Captain & Cokes, and Gin & Tonic are also ordered frequently.

While it is hard to break the bank, the best deal is the Flea’s Sunday night. An evening reserved for professional drinkers, Sunday features live music without a cover and drink specials all night long. The musical history of KC is well documented, and the talent level is awesome. It can range from jazz to swing, piano to rockabilly, but regardless, it is entertaining and played at an appreciable volume.

Although this is a laid-back place, there is more than a fair share of good stories. One part roadhouse, one part neighborhood bar, and one part market, the Flea draws an eclectic and diverse crowd.

One story, albeit with a sad ending, involves a patron who had a heart attack while playing the high-stress game of shuffleboard. Another story is a little bit more humorous, depending on your perspective.

A few years ago a guy just released from the Pen comes in and gets tanked. He’s cut off, and asked to leave. Although in his first few hours of freedom, he decides to kick one of the bouncers. According to bartender Terry Hiller, “Let’s just say he went right back to the big house.”

Such behavior is extremely unusual, if not entirely rare. This is a friendly bar, with friendly staff.

“Like any good bar, we go out of way for the customer, and they appreciate it,” Hiller says.

Kindness is part of the game, whether you are a local or newcomer to KC. Recently transplanted from Chicago, Debbie Towles confirms the good-hearted nature at the Flea. “It is hard to have a bad time at this bar, and that’s not just because the drinks are cheap,” she says.

Now, it might be a while before you find your way to Kansas City, but that is not important. My point is that to find neat places and good people you need to try something on the surface that might be outside your comfort zone. And while you’re at it, try one of the burgers ? remember they go great with beer!

Bartime kicks off the final few columns of the semester with a remix. By remix, I mean profiles of a few bars that make Madison one of the best places to spend four, five, or eight good years of your life. Stay tuned, and cheers!