Badger Bistro

After spending a week in Acapulco for Spring Break and feasting on a strict Mexican diet of tortilla chips, guacamole, Pico de Gallo sauce and guzzling Coronas to wash it all down, I have been looking forward to a fresh seafood meal at the Ocean Grill, 117 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

The restaurant radiates a sophisticated urban atmosphere but at the same time offers a comfortable, classy setting. A perfect establishment for a date, the high backed cushioned booths for two with a flickering votive candle create a sense of intimacy. The low noise level on weekday nights and well-paced service allows for an easy flow of conversation.

Occupying the space formerly anchored by the Opera House Restaurant, Ocean Grill is one of eight restaurants in Madison that is owned by Food Fight Inc; others include Johnny Del Monico’s, Monty’s Blue Plate Diner and Bluephies.
At first glance, diners will notice a large sleek bar that encompasses the middle section of the dining area. Dim blue fluorescent lighting accentuates the ocean theme. Three-dimensional flying fish on the walls look so authentic that I questioned if they were real fish that had been stuffed. Looks can be deceiving. Also worth seeing is their high definition flat screen television that looks like an aquarium of swimming fish.

The menu leans heavily toward fresh fish and shellfish, but meat lovers have a few steak options and either a BBQ Chicken Breast ($13.50) or Pork Chop ($15.95). Diners can also opt to add a crab legs or a cold water lobster tail for an extra charge to create a “Surf and Turf.”

Along with a basket of bread, patrons are given a piece of a spicy vegetable sushi roll to start off the meal. The roll is delicious.

The Shrimp Cocktail ($10.95) appetizer is artfully presented in a miniature fishbowl filled with dyed blue water. Four jumbo sized shrimp are delectably fresh and tasty.

House and Caesar salads are available in three sizes that range from an individual dinner salad to large enough for a table to share. The House Salad ($3.50 for a single size) is sweet tasting. Tomato, onion, cheese, fresh sliced strawberries and candy glazed nuts drizzled with an orange-balsamic vinaigrette atop a fresh bed of lettuce accompanies seafood dishes well. The Caesar salad is also well prepared but a little too heavy on the garlic.

If diners are looking for something light, a small House Salad and a Crab Cake ($10.25 for one, $19.25 for two) would be perfect. The crab cakes are incredibly large, approximately the size of a coffee saucer. Smothered in breadcrumbs and tasting slightly fried. It is a little disappointing that the crab cake is not prepared with jumbo lump crab meat, but the taste is still delicious.

Although salmon may not be the most adventurous dish on the menu, the Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon ($14.95) is delicious. The sweet sugary topping enhances the fish’s flavor and the mustard mashed potatoes and black bean corn salsa side dishes make for tasty accompaniments.

The fish dishes are consistently fresh and well prepared. The Wasabi Crusted Tuna ($20.50) is pan-seared rare and served over a glass noodle salad. Sea Bass, Walleye, Cioppini, and the best seller, Horseradish Crusted Grouper, are always available.

Shellfish is steamed in the shell and cracked. One Pound King Crab Legs run for $34.75 or try the half pound for $19.50.

The Créme Brulee is a satisfying ending for any fantastic meal. The custard is thick and cool and topped with golden brown Wisconsin maple syrup instead of sugar for its sweetness. A medley of berries also enhances the flavor.

I was thoroughly impressed by the service and hospitality of the wait staff. They are knowledgeable about the wine list, refilled water glasses frequently and are extremely friendly. From craftily arranged appetizers to succulent desserts, my meal was absolutely fantastic. Prices are steep so diners should wait for a special occasion, but be sure to give Ocean’s Grill a try. Until next week, happy dining!