Hard drinks, harder laughs at the Comedy Club

The variety of bars in Madison is seemingly endless. There are martini bars, sports bars, dive bars, biker bars and music bars. It is an impressive list, especially given a town of this size. Clearly, we like to drink and be entertained.

Yet for all its diversity, there is only one true stand-up comedy club in Madison. The appropriately named Comedy Club on State is the sole venue for funny business in this town.

Although unique, the Comedy Club is a relatively unknown entity on the university scene. “In some ways the club is one of Madison’s hidden gems,” UW senior Lisa Gianforte explains.

Its subtle presence is due to a combination of factors. Although located at 119 State St., the club is not on ground level. The entrance is conspicuous and is found adjacent to Frida (formerly Spices). After opening the door, you have to climb more than 30 stairs, creating the feeling that you are not entering a club but some mysterious house party.

Once you reach the top, all doubt is erased. An L-shaped bar with an awesome view of the Overture Center greets you. Time to get a drink!

The Comedy Club’s specialty is frozen drinks. Priced from $4.50 to $5.50, these are great before, during and after the show. While standbys like margaritas, daiquiris and piña colada are offered, the adventuresome will find a few others worth trying.

The Watermelon Freeze, made with vodka, is damned good. Tasting more like a melon-flavored Slurpee, this concoction is deceptively strong and has a way of creeping up on you.

A drink called the Nutty Monkey is another favorite. Made with amaretto and banana flavors, it reminded me a little of an alcohol-laced banana split.

Taking the prize, in terms of octane and variety, is the Long Island Freeze. A typical Long Island is mixed with frozen ice, and then you have your choice of adding strawberry, raspberry, watermelon, lime or banana flavors.

Beside the frozen drinks, the Comedy Club offers a few other mixed specialty drinks. These are similarly priced and include Sex on the Beach, Alabama Slammer, and California Kool-Aid.

Martinis, mixed drinks and beer are also available. The tap selection includes standards like Spotted Cow and Miller Lite. The option is pints for $2.75 to $4, or, better yet, pitchers for $7.50 to $15. The pitcher option makes it easy to drink with all of your friends during a show.

While the bar is good, you come to the Comedy Club for entertainment. Shows are Thursday through Saturday. The Thursday show starts at 8:30 p.m. and features local amateurs for the first half-hour, followed by a headliner performer. The cover is $8.

Friday and Saturday feature two shows per day, at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. Cover charge is $10, and the only difference with the 8 p.m. show is that it is non-smoking.

The performance space is what you would expect to find at a comedy club. There are numerous tables in front of a stage, which offers exposed brick as a background. While the stage is bathed in light, the room itself is very dark during shows, with the exception of the requisite candles glimmering on each table.

Table service by the cocktail waitresses is quick and prompt. Just don’t forget to tip on your way out!

Last week’s headline performer was a wisecracking comic named Larry Reeb. Apart from his outrageous wit, he would make helpful suggestions to the audience. Between the stiff drinks and “Tips from your Uncle Larry” the audience was rolling on the floor.

Heckling, by the way, is not allowed. Remember, this ain’t the Apollo!

Each week there is a new headliner performer, and regardless of who it might be, you are pretty certain to laugh your ass off. Consistency has kept the Comedy Club going for years. Capacity is only 200, and shows fill up fast — reservations are recommended.

Whether your group is big or small, the Comedy Club hits the mark and is affordable. “You can go to the show with some friends and have a couple cheap hours of fun — and hit the bar right after,” says UW senior Jeff Hertz.

That simple concept is sure to bring a smile every time.