Sandler, Barrymore pull off charmer with ’50 First Dates’

Last weekend’s No. 1 film, “50 First Dates” is a wonderful and charming romantic comedy. Although that makes it sound like a total chick flick, it is just as much for the guys as for the girls. The re-teaming of Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore after “The Wedding Singer” is a fail-proof recipe for success.

In “50 First Dates,” Sandler plays Henry Roth, the ultimate ladies’ man of Hawaii. His philosophy is to give the tourists a little vacation fling and then be a free and unattached man when they leave the island. He is the commitment-phobic king, with no interest in anything serious, until he meets local girl Lucy (Drew Barrymore).

After spotting her in the Houkilau Café, Henry strikes up a conversation over a castle built out of waffles. The two instantly click and make plans to meet for breakfast the next day. After meeting her, Henry begins to question his bachelor ways and thinks that Lucy could be his perfect woman. However, the next morning, when Henry goes to meet Lucy, he is devastated when she has no idea who he is. This is when he learns the awful truth.

After a horrible car crash, Lucy lost her short-term memory and now can only retain memories for a single day. Her dad, brother and friends have helped her to lead a somewhat normal life by having her repeat the same day over and over again for the last year. Undeterred by this fact and determined to form a romantic relationship, Henry decides he will do whatever he can to win her heart. Every day Henry finds Lucy and he makes her fall in love with him again.

“50 First Dates” essentially comes down to chemistry. The whole movie is like a science project that goes off without a hitch. Every cast member enhances the others. Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler are both actors at the top of their games and do wonderful jobs in their roles. Barrymore is radiant as Lucy, and it is impossible to not like her. Adam Sandler wins your heart as the ever-romantic man who wants nothing more than to be happy. This role reaffirms that he can actually make a good movie after huge flops like “Anger Management,” “8 Crazy Nights” and “Little Nicky.” Sandler and Barrymore have an undeniable chemistry that makes the movie very easy to watch.

Sean Astin (“Lord of the Rings” trilogy) turns in his hobbit-wear for a mesh muscle shirt as the steroid-taking, beefcake brother of Lucy. His character couldn’t be further from faithful Sam, but he pulls it off well and demonstrates his comedic side. Rob Schneider (“The Animal”) plays Ula, Henry’s hysterically eccentric and sex-obsessed friend. Although he is an easy actor to dislike, this time he is a welcome addition to the cast. Whenever he is in a scene you can expect something humorous to happen.

The story itself is simple and fresh. It doesn’t break any new ground with originality, but it is nonetheless entertaining. Its purpose is to be a romantic comedy, and that is exactly what it is. “50 First Dates” is a definite must-see, whether on a date or out with friends. It leaves a little impression on your heart and a smile on your face. This is an uplifting movie that everyone can enjoy.

Grade: A/B