Anticipation for upcoming Grammys stirs

The Grammy Awards is not just a place for all of our favorite artists to showcase their expensive dresses and elaborate outfits, but also to showcase the best musical talents of the previous year.

The 46th Annual Grammy Awards will once again showcase the best musical talent for the year on CBS Feb. 8. This year, the Recording Academy has planned a week of events leading up to the telecast.

The week of celebrations began Tuesday, Feb. 3 and included salutes to many of the categories that will be honored in the Awards ceremony Sunday. The categories range from rock to classical to rap. Among the performers this year will be artists from all different genres, ranging from Sting to The Foo Fighters. Billy Bob Thornton will also perform, as well as Outkast. Some celebrity presenters will include Hilary Duff, B.B. King and Faith Hill, among others.

Perhaps the most intriguing part of the Grammy Awards this year will be the increase in time delay. After the Super Bowl’s half-time show, the Recording Academy has decided to increase the delay on the award show to five minutes (just in case a “costume malfunction” occurs again). Justin Timberlake will be performing at the Grammys, but this time with Black Eyed Peas in a little bit less-revealing performance.

Awards will be given out in 104 categories ranging from pop, rock, jazz, blues, classical, rap and, believe it or not, polka. The Grammys are truly peer recognition of talent, as the winners are chosen by members of the artistic and technical professions.

Sales and chart positions for the music are not taken into account. The Grammy Awards are presented every year by the Recording Academy, which has been honoring musical artists since 1957.

In addition to presenting awards to the best musical talents from the previous year, the Recording Academy began presenting other awards such as the Lifetime Achievement Award. This award will be presented to Van Cliburn, the Funk Brothers, Ella Jenkins, Sonny Rollins, Artie Shaw and Doc Watson.

The Hall of Fame was also started in 1973 to honor recordings that have made an impact on both the industry and society at large. The recordings must be at least 25 years old.

With all of the great artists lined up to perform and present this year, the 46th Annual Grammy Awards promises to draw a large audience to see the dresses and jewels that will abound on the red carpet. Of course, you can always just watch to see which of your favorite artists and groups were truly important this year, or if you were the only one that bought their album. The Grammys will be shown Sunday, Feb. 8 at 8 p.m. EST on CBS.