Good viewing, part II

The Fox network deserves credit for bringing us “The Simpsons,” the contemporary touchstone for television excellence. Subsequent animated shows, notably “King of the Hill,” helped make Fox the undisputed champion of televised animation.

Premiering at the turn of the millennium, “Futurama” should have been the network’s next great success. Created by Simpsons’ guru Matt Groening and featuring the voices of Billy West (formerly the voice of Stimpy on Nickelodeon’s “Ren & Stimpy”) as Fry, and Kate Sagal (Peg on Fox’s “Married with Children”) as Leela, how could it go wrong?

As it turns out, quite easily. To prove its status as a major network, Fox had to display the common trait of Network Stupidity. Almost since the show’s inception, Fox has treated “Futurama” with indifference, ignoring its loyal fan base and its estimable satire of both the 21st and 31st centuries.

Once the perfect link between “The Simpsons” and “The X-Files,” “Futurama” currently airs about every six weeks (when not pre-empted by football or an FCC-butchered movie broadcast), in the coveted 6 p.m. CST slot. Now it seems that the show has finally, after much consideration, been dropped. This season — assuming it is being aired — will be the last.

On the bright side, the Cartoon Network, with its masterful Adult Swim, has given us the chance to see “Futurama” (and many other overlooked animated gems) on a nightly basis. But for the ultimate in viewing joy, the series on DVD is a must. Only then can commercials be avoided, commentary tracks heard, and bathroom breaks taken at one’s convenience.

Season One’s release last year was met with huge fan appreciation, critical acclaim, and general public apathy. Like the show itself, the DVD suffers in comparison to “The Simpsons” based on its more particular target audience; whereas “The Simpsons” deals with the American family, “Futurama” is a sci-fi parody, with understandably less universal appeal.

Thus it is easily overlooked that “Futurama,” unlike “The Simpsons,” was born fully realized. Each episode, from the start of the series, is well written and executed.

The series premiere sees pizza delivery boy Philip J. Fry accidentally cryogenically frozen on New Years Eve, 1999, to be thawed 1,000 years later. From the start, the show is filled with great moments, like Fry’s introduction to Leela, a comely one-eyed alien.

“Well, at least here you’ll be treated with dignity,” says Leela to Fry. “Now strip naked and get on the probulator!”

The cast of characters more closely resembles that of an ensemble sit-com than it does “The Simpsons'” cast of millions, but each central character is distinctive and perfect. Fry’s great-great-etc.-nephew, the aged Professor Hubert Farnsworth, croaks a few good, doddering lines per episode, and lobster-like Dr. Zoidberg is fully described by three character traits: incompetence, gluttony and lack of popularity.

Both characters, it should be noted, are also voiced by the incomparable West.

Most endearing, however, is Fry’s robot pal, Bender, voiced by John DiMaggio. He is the smart-ass, miscreant misanthrope sidekick that every good comedy needs. His character is established in “I, Roommate,” in which he and Fry easily out-odd Felix and Oscar.

Other highlights of the first season include parodies of “Titanic (“A Flight to Remember”) and Willy Wonka (“Fry and the Slurm Factory”).

Season Two is no less entertaining, featuring Richard Nixon’s head (“A Head in the Polls”) and a Stephen King-like possessed-car spoof (“The Honking”).

The second season also introduces “Futurama’s” answer to “The Simpsons'” “Treehouse of Horror” three-in-one Halloween episodes, entitled “Anthology of Interest.” Professor Farnsworth’s “What-If” machine allows for especially absurd plotlines, in this case featuring the voices of Al Gore, Stephen Hawking, “Star Trek’s” Nichelle Nichols, and Dungeons & Dragons creator Gary Gygax.

Some DVDs’ audio commentary tracks demand the patience that only a true devotee can muster. Not so with “Futurama,” for which repeated viewing is almost prerequisite.

Aside from occasional foreshadowing of later storylines and countless minute sight-gags, there is an entire alien cryptogram language to decipher for added time-wasting fun. The commentary helpfully clues viewers in to many easily-overlooked touches.

One needs some familiarity with the sci-fi genre to fully appreciate much of the satire and many of the references. But for those of us who, like Groening, grew up soaking in “Star Trek” and Asimov, the parody invariably strikes a chord.

So, in spite of Fox’s negligence, “Futurama” is now accessible to oft-mistreated fans, via Cartoon Network and DVD. As long these other options are viable, network mistakes can be ignored, if not forgiven.