Resolution suggestions for the new year

After the debauchery of the holidays and the New Year, people have an amazing tendency to come up with resolutions. These are usually made to modify an unwanted behavior lingering from the previous year. With the calendar change, it is a simple rationalization to start with a clean slate and do something positive.

The underlying problem is that some resolutions are hard to follow. Really, how many of the people you know will actually stick to their newfound workout regimen until spring break?

Rather than ignore the value of change, it might be easier to try something a little less severe. Many of us like to go out, have a few drinks and enjoy good times with friends. But perhaps we can do few things to make our time more pleasant for everybody. Keeping this in mind, I present Bartime’s top seven resolutions for 2004. Why seven? One resolution is hard enough, let alone 10. Drum roll, please …

1. Order your drinks at the same time.

When you approach a bartender to order a bunch of drinks, know what you are getting from the start. There is nothing bartenders dislike more than waiting for you to ask all of your friends what to drink while other customers are waiting. Naturally, this can be a challenge if you are with a large group — just keep it simple!

2. Get to know your favorite bartender.

Think of a bartender as a facilitator to you having a good time. We all want to be friends with people that want us to have fun, don’t we? Many bartenders are easygoing people who like meeting people. They won’t bite, and chances are you’ll get better drinks as you build rapport.

3. Learn how to tip.

I know I’m going strong on the whole “be-nice-to-the-bartender” thing, but tipping is an important part of the going-out game. If all you are doing is ordering a few beers, then tip something reasonable, along the lines of at least 15 percent. If you are ordering something a little bit more complicated, like a White Russian or Brandy Old-Fashioned, respect the person and the drink by shelling out a little bit more green. A 50-cent tip on a $4 drink makes you look cheap.

4. Venture to an off-campus bar at least once.

It is amazing what a change of scenery will do. Madison has an unbelievable number of bars. Take a cab or find a designated driver and escape from your usual routine. Chances are you will have a great time and appreciate your favorite campus hangout that much more.

5. Don’t get pushy in line or at the bar.

Shocking as it may seem, the people who are already in line were there before you — I’m talking to you, loud girl in Eskimo boots. Just because you know the bouncer’s roommate’s friend’s cousin doesn’t give you any privileges. And if you do get to skip the line, do everybody a favor and don’t draw attention to yourself. There is no reason to gloat.

6. Quit pretending you know so much about drinking.

Many of us have only been drinking for a handful of years. If time is any indication, we’re hardly experts. There is more to drinking than getting drunk. Sample some new drinks, for example. If all else fails, ask the bartender for a suggestion — they might have a specialty drink you never knew existed.

7. Try going out and not drinking (at least once).

OK, by now you’re all thinking I’ve completely lost it. This one is a strong test of willpower, but seriously, you can have fun and not drink. You’ll save money and more than likely be amused by the sophomoric antics of your friends. Plus, it guarantees you’ll remember everything the next morning.

While these resolutions might only linger in your memory as long as your goal to study harder this semester, they offer another perspective to our social scene. Madison is a legendary place to party, and it is our duty to keep it up to high standards.

Bartime will head to the Echo Tap this weekend, located just off campus at 554 W. Main St. Cheers!