Awaiting ‘Alien?’ Rent ’em all!

Instead of tersely discussing why the theatrical re-release of “Alien,” which opened in most cities Halloween weekend, has yet to appear at any of the countless multiplexes in this humble town of 200,000, let us consider the entire “Alien” series as one of the only lucrative film franchises to maintain any level of consistency and integrity.

The franchise has also offered a proving ground for four highly regarded directors.

The 20th anniversary of the first film’s 1979 premier saw the unveiling of the full ‘quadrilogy’ on DVD. The packaging is quite nice, and there are some DVD extras, but mostly what is intriguing is the ability to view the films in close succession.

Though inadequacies do become more apparent on repeated viewing, the continuity and similarities from one film to the next (none made within five years of one another) is astounding.

Given the optimistic view that the first film may soon be available for big-screen viewing and that most people concur that it’s a pretty damn good movie, we’ll forego an exhaustive review for another time. Suffice it to say, it was a film unique in its day not only for its distinctively un-sterile view of the future but also for introducing a genuine action heroine into a genre already replete with clichéd male leads.

Sigourney Weaver’s Lt. Ellen Ripley, by her very act of survival, becomes a new female archetype. Director Ridley Scott, later of “Blade Runner” et al, created both a universe and a legacy.

With that as its backstory, part two, the James Cameron-directed “Aliens,” followed seven years later. Cameron was fresh off of the first “Terminator” and still had a keen eye for improving the action genre. Far from being the standard, disappointing remake-style sequel, he took the franchise into wider territory. He took most of the first film’s suspense away and replaced it with action and somehow did so successfully.

Rather than being hunted by one alien, Ripley and a group of Marines seek out the aliens en masse as exterminators. Needless to say, it proves rather difficult.

At this point, the character of Ripley takes on a mythological status. “Alien” could have been interpreted as a novelty, introducing the notion of a strong female lead in an action movie. “Aliens” moved Ripley from archetype to icon.

In 1992, David Fincher (later directing “Seven” and “Fight Club”) stepped in to helm “Alien 3.” What could have been a fairly simple action film was enhanced by both the advancement of Ripley’s storyline and Fincher’s dark, gory visual tendencies. Excessive at times and with a script that occasionally makes itself too obvious, it is still a fun ride.

In summary, Ripley crash-lands on a small prison/mining colony, alien in tow, and must band together with an eclectic bunch of inmates to try to fend off the monster.

The film’s visual effects are not always convincing and the musical score is somewhat oppressive. Despite a climax that, to put it nicely, doesn’t look great, “Alien 3” as a concept takes the franchise to a logical conclusion of sorts.

Not to give away the ending, but in “Alien Resurrection,” the fourth film, both Ripley and the aliens are brought back to life by scientists bent on using the alien for untold, evil purposes.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet (“Amelie”) steps in as what seems a strange choice for directing. “Resurrection” is the weakest of the bunch, with some strained dialogue that makes no attempt to mask its plot-summary nature. What the film does offer is a view of a new, “improved” Ripley, who has become one with the aliens.

The transformation of the character is well executed by Weaver, who reveals another layer of herself and her Lt. Ripley. She has gone from a lucky survivor to a consumed vigilante. The film is enjoyable based almost entirely on her performance.

While the films do grow progressively worse (mostly script-wise), the progression of Ripley’s character and the evolving-but-consistent visual styles make them all entertaining.

Seeing them consecutively highlights the lack in each, but illustrates better the growth in complexity of both Ripley and the “Alien” universe. And it makes the prospect of seeing the original “Alien” on the big screen all the more enticing.

Grades: Alien: A; Aliens: A/B; Alien 3: B; Alien Resurrection: B