‘The Hulk’ gives viewers an atypical superhero drama

by Colin Brooker, ArtsEtc. Writer

Superhero movies became a fad once again after the success of “X-Men” and to an even greater extent, “Spider-Man.” As a result, Hollywood became bombarded with the green lighting of every superhero film possible. Still, it surprises me that “The Hulk” managed to be one of the first. I never really cared for “The Hulk,” and didn’t think the fan base was big enough to make this movie.

“The Hulk” starts out in the late 1960s. David Banner (Nick Nolte, “48 Hours”) works for the military research facility, developing ways to make soldiers immune to various chemicals. When he suggests genetic manipulation, Col. Ross (Sam Elliott, “The Big Lebowski”) refuses. Banner doesn’t listen and experiments on himself. The genetic manipulation is then passed onto his son.

Move forward to the present, where Bruce Banner (Eric Bana, “Black Hawk Down”) knows nothing of his past or his real parents. He is working in the same field as his father once did. He works with his ex, Betty Ross (Jennifer Connelly, “A Beautiful Mind”), on nanotechnology. When a freak accident occurs in the lab, Bruce takes a shot of gamma radiation and nanotechnology that triggers the genetic manipulation in his DNA.

I find it amusing the way the superhero origins are updated these days. Back in the ’60s, radiation was involved in comics like this and “Spider-Man.” Today, we have genetic manipulation to replace radiation. We know what radiation can do, and it doesn’t give super powers — however, we don’t know the possibilities of genetic manipulation.

I have to give credit to Ang Lee — he really tried to make an atypical superhero film. The Hulk actually doesn’t show up for 40 minutes in this film. This is really about Bruce Banner and his struggle with what is really an inner demon; what scares him the most is that he likes when he changes. I think this movie proves that Lee could direct one hell of a great adaptation of “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.”

Eric Bana portrays a repressed, deeply trouble man in Bruce Banner. Jennifer Connelly does an amazing job playing a variation of the role she had in “A Beautiful Mind.” Her character is more realistic in her reactions to Bruce’s trouble then her role in Ron Howard’s film. She wants to help Bruce, but is also terrified of him and is in constant conflict about whether to get her father to help or not.

However, as great as the drama is in this movie, it doesn’t work with the comic book atmosphere that the scenes with the Hulk have. Lee does such a good job with the drama that the action scenes with the Hulk get long and boring. It feels like we’re switching between two different movies; the comic book scenes bring down the quality of the rest of the film.

It doesn’t help that the CG Hulk isn’t entirely believable. Sometimes he gets emotion across well, and other times there is a vacant look in his eyes. They also give the Hulk some abilities that I never remember him having in the comic. Was he really able to leap over miles of terrain in a single leap?

The editors use an interesting technique that creates split screens and scene changes which give the movie the feel of watching a comic book, by making it look like cell changes. This could be annoying if the film wasn’t shot so well. Lee doesn’t overuse camera movement, so all the scenes are steady and legible.

What hurts this movie the most is Danny Elfman’s score. It is too big for this movie, which is more of a personal drama rather than a campy superhero film. The only time the score fits is during the Hulk’s scenes, and even then, it reminds me too much of the campiness of “Spider-Man,” which just doesn’t work.

Ang Lee gets credit for trying something different. I just wish that the studio had let him go all the way with it. “The Hulk” will be released on DVD and VHS Oct. 28.

Grade: B/C