Alumni alert at the Big 10

Campus is buzzing with excitement since the Badger victory last weekend over the former national champions. Catapulted by the team’s success, and the fact that ESPN’s College Game Day is coming to town, our spirits remain high. We are walking with swagger and confidence — but we can’t let it get to our heads. Maybe we need a dose of Lee Corso telling us, “Not so fast!”

The outcome of Saturday’s game is important, but beyond that, there are greater reasons for concern. Last weekend we were on the alert for rival fans. This weekend we are facing a different and friendlier “invader”. Look out — here come the alumni!

True, scores of loyal alumni invade Madison every football weekend. Homecoming, however, is an entirely different event. Judging by the crowd last weekend at Jordan’s Big 10 Pub, located at 1330 Regent St., many alumni are already warmed up to party.

Last Saturday at the Big 10 Pub, patrons consumed case after case of Jägermeister. This alone is not too surprising. The culprit demographic, somewhere between 30 and 40 years old, did come as something of a shock.

The middle-aged, decked out in red and white head-to-toe, are drinking Jäger Bombs. In fact, they are drinking so many of them that the Big 10 Pub uncharacteristically ran out of Red Bull more than an hour before the game. Yikes!

If you have seen the movie, it is clear the alumni are living out their glory days in true “Old School” fashion. As Frank the Tank would say, “Once it touches the lips, it’s sooo good!”

Such is the atmosphere at the Big 10 Pub on game days. “People might be shocked at first,” according to manager Vicki Jenson, “but everybody is having a blast!” The parking lot is packed with shoulder-to-shoulder Badger fans, taking advantage of good drinks and a convenient stop before heading to Camp Randall.

Although prices rise on game day, the Big 10 Pub offers a great value for Regent Street. Jäger Bombs are $5, 16-ounce taps of Miller are $3.25, Bloody Marys are $4, and 16-ounce Captain and Cokes are $4.75.

This weekend, in addition to their regular offering, the Big 10 Pub is featuring a Jägermeister promotion. Shot girls will tempt you with a drink called the Red Headed Slut, which is Jäger mixed with peach schnapps and cranberry.

Students also take advantage of the Big 10 Pub on game days. But given the variation in age, don’t be surprised if a loud member of the class of 1988 hits on your girlfriend and tells you “how good it was” back in the day.

Games occur only a few times in the fall. During the rest of the year, the bar is popular to all ages with a keen sense for deals. Specials include 2-for-1 Captain and Cokes on Wednesday for $3.75, $1 taps on Thursday, and 2-for-1 Long Islands on Friday for $3.50.

The bar itself is deceivingly large, and can hold about 300 people. There are plenty of booths and tables, and with 25 TVs tuned into any possible sporting event, the Big 10 Pub lets you enjoy the game with ease.

Given the environment at the Big 10 Pub, who can blame the alumni for wanting to have a good time? This weekend, let’s raise a “U-Rah-Rah Wisconsin” toast to our alumni. They have paved and paid the way. It won’t be long before we are in their shoes, but probably not in their vintage Zubaz pants.

Bartime will check out the bar this weekend at the reincarnated Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry, located 317 N. Frances St. Cheers!