Last call for sexy summer clothes

Well, I guess it’s just about that time of year again. The sunset whistle attached to College Library is sounding off two hours earlier than it does in July. Unfortunately for us guys, that means saying goodbye to the daily sightings of short-shorts, mini-skirts, sundresses, bikinis and low-cut tank tops usually donned by the female population of this campus during the warmer months.

Yes, I have to admit that I was a little depressed by last week’s freezing cold days of coats, hats and gloves. I was, however, pleasantly surprised by the reappearance of the warmer weather during the last four days. Coincidentally, it came just in time for the MTV “Real World” applicants to show up for their interview in the more-flattering (and less-concealing) clothes of mid-summer.

So ladies, enjoy wearing your cute summer outfits while you still have the chance. Gentlemen, enjoy it while it lasts, because you won’t see any scantily clad women on the streets of Madison (except for Halloween weekend) for another six months or so. I have a feeling that we are going to hit sub-zero temperatures a little earlier this year.

Dating also seems to come and go throughout the seasons. No, I don’t mean that you should have summer, autumn, winter and spring girlfriends. I mean that the options for creative dating change throughout the year.

So put away the picnic baskets, beach towels and Frisbees, and pick up some nice red wine and firewood, and take the big fuzzy blanket out of storage — it’s time to cuddle up to your date with a glass of warming cabernet and spend some time in front of a blazing hot fireplace.

As the seasons change, so do the options for the dating game. Though a dinner and a movie may work just fine anytime of the year, taking a walk at night during a Wisconsin winter becomes a little less appealing as January approaches. There is one benefit to the colder climate, though: because the ladies aren’t able to dress in revealing clothing during the cold months, they will more likely dress to impress underneath their clothes with sexy lingerie.

Instead of thinking of winter as a time without scantily clad honeys, think of it as holiday season. The clothes might be long-sleeved, bulky and chosen for warmth rather than their sex appeal, but on the other hand, it’s kind of like unwrapping a holiday gift. Men, you don’t need to send a thank-you card, but make sure you show your appreciation to her for wearing that red and furry Mrs. Claus bra-and-panties set.

So if you and your lady enjoy sipping iced tea on the outdoor patio of a café during the warm summer nights, try making it coffee or hot cocoa inside the café when they stop putting the outdoor furniture on the sidewalk.

Better yet, cook something yourself and make your own coffee or warm beverage. There seems to be something about serving dinner and warmed-up drinks under the ambiance of firelight that screams romantic. Remember ladies, if a guy does this for you, don’t forget the sexy lingerie.

For something simpler, try to reinstate some of the activities you enjoyed as a kid. Just because it’s cold doesn’t mean that there is nothing to do outside. Try having a snowball fight or building a snowman. Buy a sled (or grab a tray) and head up to Liz Waters hill. Or if you could use a weekend getaway when Noah’s Ark is out of the question, take a ski trip with a group of friends and camp out in a slope-side cabin.

Winter can be just as much fun as summer when it comes to dating, and if you approach it with the right attitude, those icy cold days can turn into hot winter nights. As an added bonus, it is much nicer to sleep next to someone during winter to keep warm than it is during summer, when it turns into two bodies separated by a layer of sweat. Once more, ladies, for added emphasis … wear some SEXY LINGERIE!

I don’t want to sound like a mom here, but when it gets cold, make sure to wear your mittens, hat, and of course, a love-glove.

Questions, comments, anecdotes or opinions? We want to hear them all! Send ’em to [email protected].