Reliable rent: Python on DVD gives life meaning

With the DVD release of 1983’s “The Meaning of Life,” your Monty Python feature-film trilogy is now complete. Youngsters who were not yet born when the Pythons made their final collective cinematic statement may now be forced to sit through an entire evening of cultish indoctrination by you, their obsessive elders.

If these youths have already digested ‘The Holy Grail” and “The Life of Brian,” they might be prepared for the rambling, confusing, often disgusting plotlessness of “The Meaning of Life.” Or, they might not.

Unlike its predecessors, “The Meaning of Life” offers little pretense of continuity. It is a return to the Pythons’ sketch-comedy roots, in this case tied feebly together by the notion of explaining the human condition. (One could ask how talking fish or the enormous, vomiting, exploding Mr. Creosote aid in the explanation of life’s mysteries, but one could just as easily ask what vicious killer rabbits have to do with King Arthur.)

As with “Grail” and “Brian,” there are a number of extras with the DVD release of “The Meaning of Life.” Not to be missed is the bonus feature “Remastering a Masterpiece,” in which the mysteries of film reparation are unveiled, Python style.

For real fans, the added materials — including a few missing scenes and the insightful commentary track by Terry Gilliam and director Terry Jones ? make the DVD less a good rental and more a good purchase.

But there is no masking that the film is spotty. In interviews, all the Pythons concede that the film lacks cohesiveness. Yet they also correctly agree that the film’s funniest moments are among the Pythons’ finest as a group. And Terry Gilliam’s short feature, “The Crimson Permanent Assurance,” is essential viewing for any who appreciate his work outside Python.

The resolution-less collapse of “Grail” and the ultra-melancholy crucifixion singalong finale of “Brian” leave viewers unsettled and unsatisfied. The utter failure of conclusiveness in “Meaning of Life” is no less unfulfilling, but is fully expected and appropriate to the titular subject matter. “The Meaning of Life” is a fitting conclusion to the Python canon.

Comedies age badly, for the simple reason that jokes are never as funny the second time. Or the third, fourth or fifth times. Around the sixth time, they get funny again, but then continue to become gradually less funny, approaching the Humor Vanishing Point (HVP) as they are beat into the ground like so much dead horsemeat.

But Monty Python provides an exception to this rule — based not only on the many levels of humor at work but on the cultish nature of Python culture. Those under its influence are compelled to draw new viewers to these masterpieces of comic cinema, and thus can the jokes be experienced vicariously, as if for the first time.

Grade: A/B