Soulfly wings its way to the Annex

Metal. Not death-metal, certainly not rap-metal and established years before nu-metal. Just good, old-fashioned, unadulterated “Metal.”

No other words are needed to describe the sound, atmosphere and intensity that emanates from the stage presence of the Brazilian-bred, distortion-exploiting outfit known as Soulfly.

Initially panned as merely a tainted byproduct of the much publicized departure of singer and guitarist Max Cavalera from the Brazilian tribal metal band Sepultura in the late 1990s, Soulfly was established from Cavalera, bassist Marcello D. Rapp, guitarist Mickey Doling and drummer Roy Mayorga’s relentless drive to make music that hits its listeners between the eyes, forces them out of their seat and tempts them to join in the heavy-metal bonding experience known as moshing.

After establishing an unwavering backing from the international metal community (18 Gold Albums awarded worldwide), Soulfly’s discs, including its 1998 self-titled debut, the 2000 follow-up Primitive, and last year’s release of 3, have become common arsenal in the CD cases of the metal militia mercenaries from around the world.

After wrapping up a sold-out, three-month, 18-country winter tour overseas promoting its latest album, Soulfly has returned to the shores of America for a packed month-and-a-half, 36-date tour.

This Sunday Max and his band will light up The Annex as part of their march across the globe, bringing with them the jackhammer tenacity, non-stop energy and musical intensity that has earned Soulfly its international cult-like following.

Even during the early days of Sepultura, Max single-handedly distinguished himself from the rest of his band with his distinctive primal growl that so many nu-metal screamers today have failed to emulate.

Coupling his innovative vocal work and socially-charged lyrics with his mind-numbing guitar rhythms and dissonant leads, Max and his new platoon of metal brethren have helped to continue the dynasty of intense Brazilian metal with the time-tested formula of “heavy” plus “loud” multiplied by “speed” equals “unleashed auditory mayhem.”

As evident on the first single from 3, “Seek ‘n’ Strike,” Soulfly still has not shown signs of inhibiting the musical aggressiveness that its fans have come to love.

Conversely, though, this time around Soulfly has also not been afraid to further expose the more elegant side of its musical prowess — something that was only hinted at the end of Primitive.

For a band that has performed with acts such as Peter Gabriel, Sting and David Bowie and has claimed influences in the form of U2 and Paul Simon, it comes as no surprise that the musicians of Soulfly would set down their six-string distortion machines for a moment and pay respects to the acoustic guitar.

No track better exemplifies this contrast of brutality and beauty than “Tree of Pain,” which features an intro of soul-touching acoustic guitar laden with the lyrical work of special guest Asha Rabouin before suddenly ambushing the listener with the harsh insanity of all that is Soulfly.

A trademark of its previous albums, Soulfly has once again orchestrated the incorporation of the sounds of native Brazilian tribal languages and instruments into the group’s soundscapes as a means to complement the opuses of repression, aggression and destruction as heard in the mosh-pit catalyzer “Downstroy.”

Simultaneously staying true to its musical, cultural and spiritual roots is what has separated Soulfly from the rest of the cookie-cutter nu-metal bands of the moment. As a result of adding this soul-caressing depth to its maniacal barrage of sixteenth-beats, pulsing bass lines, buzz-saw guitar shredding, eerie solos and tribal/growling lyrics, Soulfly has proven itself deserving of its name.

Considering the fact that this band has previously garnered opening slots for bands like Slayer and has achieved a fan-favorite status at countless Ozzfest tours over the years, expect nothing less than untamed insanity when Soulfly impacts The Annex Sunday with fellow metal battle units E-town Concrete and Sworn Enemy.

This metal performance is a rare opportunity for the campus area this spring, so if you’re not into metal or if the only music that you’re familiar with south of the Rio Grande includes analogies between bosoms and large geological features, head over to The Annex anyway.

Just make sure to pack your pits with industrial-strength antiperspirant, stretch out your neck muscles well and be prepared to wake up sore on Monday, because these guys are ready to give you the primal release you’ve been unknowingly craving your whole life.

Soulfly plays at The Annex, 1206 Regent St., this Sunday, April 27, at 6 p.m. Ticket are $23 in advance and are available at all Annex ticket outlets. Call 280-8869 for more information.