‘Malibu’s Most Wanted’ less than desirable

“I ams who I say I ams” says B-rad (Jamie Kennedy, “Scream”), stating the premise for the would-be satire “Malibu’s Most Wanted.” B-rad’s parents have been away from him all his life, leaving him to grow up practically alone in a huge beach-side mansion in Malibu and driving him to a life full of BET.

This lifestyle eventually turns him into a wanna-be rapper “Representin’ the ‘Bu.” His father Bill Gluckman (Ryan O’Neal, “Zero Effect”) is running for governor of California, and his poseur son is causing a threat to his campaign. Campaign manager Tom (Blair Underwood, “Full Frontal”) attempts to “scare B-rad white” by sending him into South Central with two actors (Taye Diggs, “Basic,” and Anthony Anderson, “Cradle 2 the Grave”). The two lead him into fabricated scenes that seem touchy and close to making a statement about race in American pop culture but shy away at the punch line.

While the two black actors sent to scare B-rad “white” act whiter than B-rad ever has or ever will for that matter, it adds a nice touch of irony.

The romance comes about with one of the only true “ghetto” characters in the movie, Shondra (Regina Hall, “Ally McBeal”). She comes to see the true innocence that lies within a rich white boy wanting to be part of the ‘hood. However “thug-like” he may be, B-rad still knows how to treat the ladies.

The laughter arrives in spurts followed by lengthy scenes of uncomfortable silence. Painful to watch, Jamie Kennedy seems too old to play this part, creating a character that is, if possible, too awkward for the role and even harder to sympathize with.

Scenes flare up in numbing sequences that stem from B-rad’s knowledge of “Grand Theft Auto III,” which only seem to fuel white suburban boys to perpetuate violence through these mediums. As B-rad steals a pair of machine guns from two gang members and opens fire on a fight, he comments on the amazing special effects of the “glocks.” This scene is not funny; it is just sad.

The humor attempts to make the poseur become more accepted, almost taking off of “8 Mile.” This just makes everyone hate white rich people who wear velour suits and sweat bands.

Kennedy and all characters’ roles become tiresome after the first 20 minutes. Humor does pop up throughout the film, though. For example, Snoop Dogg makes a cameo in the form of a rat named Ronnie Rizat, who tells B-rad in so many words with rat/gangsta gestures to be himself and not worry what others say.

Also funny is the portrayal of B-rad’s posse, whose ‘hood is a Malibu coffee shop. Spitting rhymes that talk about being an oppressed Jewish boy, this is where B-rad’s rapping career begins. Once B-rad’s crew finds out he has been kidnapped and taken to the streets of Compton, they use their On-star systems to locate B-rad’s souped-up Escalade, all while they find their parents’ biggest weapons. This sequence attempts to poke fun at the racial divides in America but seems a little bit too risky.

In the end, the racial jokes and hackneyed “ghetto” slang just get annoying. The entire last 20 minutes seem like the writers gave up and filled in the variables with romance and more unnecessary violence.

With its perks of comedy, “Malibu’s Most Wanted” may not be quite as desirable as the title suggests but not entirely uninvited.

Grade: B/C