Finally, there’s a ‘Family Guy’

For anyone who followed Seth MacFarlane’s masterful animated series, “Family Guy,” the past 14 months have been difficult. The last episode of the fourth and final season aired last February, much to the chagrin of its meager group of followers.

Rumors regarding the return of the Griffin family have flooded the Internet since then; however, nothing absolute has been said regarding the future of the program.

Stop crying — stop it! Here’s some news that might bring some cheer. The mother of all box sets (excluding the Complete Boz Scaggs) was released at a store near you Tuesday. “Family Guy Volume One” is a four-DVD set featuring 28 episodes from Seasons One and Two.

For those who are familiar with the show, further explanation is unnecessary. You’ve seen, you’ve heard, you know. You may have already bought the box set. For those unfamiliar with the comedic landmark that is “Family Guy,” here’s a brief overview.

The Quahog, R.I.-based Griffin family consists of a dad named Peter (Seth MacFarlane), a mom named Lois (Alex Borstein, “MAD TV”), a son named Chris (Seth Green, “Austin Powers” movies), a daughter named Meg (Lacey Chabert, later replaced by Mila Kunis of “That ’70s Show”), a baby boy named Stewie (Seth MacFarlane) and a talking dog named Brian (Seth MacFarlane).

The primary subject matter of the show is similar to that of any family-based sitcom directed toward more mature audiences. A blend of mature and childish humor coupled with lots of social commentary are strung together by a ridiculous crisis and a series of encounters with townspeople.

“Family Guy” incorporates the sharp satire and animated fun seen in “The Simpsons” and “South Park” and the politically incorrect, yet socially pertinent and generally well-intentioned, dialogue of “All in the Family.”

However, “Family Guy” features other characteristics that really set it apart from other similar programs. MacFarlane frequently uses hilarious flashbacks and cutaways that truly exploit the benefits of an animated series. Occasional obscure references leave some viewers behind while leaving others rolling on the floor. Some say that “Family Guy” is just plain funnier than the others.

Now, you might find yourself saying, “Give me some examples to back up these claims, and stop stealing food out of my refrigerator.” Fair enough.

Here’s a rundown of just some of the aspects that make “Family Guy” worth exploring. The Kool-Aid Man makes a completely inappropriate appearance. Peter and William Shatner run barefoot in lederhosen. Jesus performs the most hilarious miracle ever. Peter’s quest to find a sock lands him in the mythical land of Narnia.

Patrick Warburton (a.k.a. Seinfeld’s David Puddy) makes frequent appearances as the Griffins’ neighbor, Joe Swanson (“Holy crip, he’s a crapple!”). Peter has serious trouble driving after drinking a prune smoothie.

Still not convinced? No problem, there’s plenty more. Norm MacDonald and Adam Corolla take turns as Death, Schoolhouse Rock meets Sex Education, tons of “MAD TV” and “SNL” alumni (including Will Ferrell) make appearances, Peter Griffin stars as Anna in “The King and I,” and Rufus Griffin stars as Marty McSuperfly in “Black to the Future” (“You outta time, baby!”).

Plus, Adam West, TV’s Batman, appears periodically as one of the show’s finer characters. He plays Adam West, the insane mayor of Quahog.

As for the picture and sound quality of the DVDs, they’re pretty good. Occasional flaws in the animation and audio that flows slightly in and out of sync from time to time certainly do not distract from the absolutely magnetic comedic material.

Plus, true Family Guy fans will undoubtedly find the DVDs to be a drastic improvement from the downloaded or videotaped episodes to which they have surely become accustomed.

Overall, it’s a box set that’s worth a look. If you don’t purchase one of your own, don’t worry — one of your friends certainly will.