Detroit Cobras bring new sound to Madison

The Detroit Cobras are a long-under-appreciated band whose sound is that of a Motor City resurrection.

Spreading the gospel of deep soul, pure-rock primordial, Motown, and all the stray, loose and untamed urges that throb and dance to the blue lights of late-night TV, the Cobras have been bringing on their interpretations of obscure songs for the last decade. Now they’re returning to Madison with the Greenhornes to make the kids dance.

The band itself was the brainchild of guitarist Steve Shaw. Time spent chain smoking and listening to the great gospel and soul stations of New Orleans with ex-Big Star head and all-around musical great Alex Chilton inspired and brought Shaw back to Detroit, where he began to gather together the Detroit Cobras.

The first member he found was guitarist Maribel Restrepo, a veteran of the Detroit rock scene. Also joining the group was Matt O’Brien (bass), notable for his engineering work on the early recordings of garage-rock legends The Gories.

For a singer, they found Rachel Nagy (incidentally, she’s also the only singer I’ve ever heard of whose previous occupations include both stripper and butcher, if that explains anything). Her voice is a smoky and syrupy blue-eyed soul instrument, powerful enough to inject these songs, these beautiful relics with both relevance and a nasty swagger when called upon.

Now, I know what you’re thinking — something like, “Don’t they write any of their own songs? They cannot be true rock artists if they don’t.”

Well, for the former, the answer is no, they don’t write their own songs at all. But what they do is much more important than simple self-expression or any of that pap.

The Detroit Cobras carry on the living, breathing, fornicating tradition of rock ‘n’ roll as it once so gloriously raged across America in garages, frat parties, basements and school dances alike. It’s the sound that has been proven to get people’s asses dancing and their wallets buying booze.

As for the Cobras’ sound, what they do is to take a little from all of the great influences in rock ‘n’ roll. First, start in Memphis with Sun Studios and Stax/Volt and add a little bit of the retarded party bop of the Swinging Medallions’ Double Shot of My Baby’s Love.

Then add a huge round of Spector’s girl groups (especially the Ronettes), topped with the New York City heartbeat of the Ramones and Blondie. Then, fly that lineup back to Detroit and add all the history and culture of their hometown from the likes of Mitch Ryder and Smokey Robinson.

After placing this rock stew into a gigantic gas-driven turbine engine, shake shake shake! Then, look — nostalgic ’60s garage R & B.

We’re talking the likes of Otis Redding, Ike Turner, Mary Wells and even newer powerhouses such as The Oblivians’ stone-cold classic “Bad Man” from their 1996 album Popular Favorites (here changed to “Bad Girl” to reflect the singer’s gender). All figured prominently in that shared attitude of R&B and punk rock alike.

While the Detroit Cobras have two great albums out, both on the excellent Sympathy for the Record Industry label, 1998’s Mink Rat or Rabbit and 2001’s Life, Love and Leaving, the place to see them is on stage, raucous and smoking, slow burning and sweaty bumping.

Opening up for the Cobras is the Greenhornes, an Ohio-based act that has been drawing attention for its own brand of garage soul. Last time they were in town they supported David Cross at Luther’s and did not disappoint.

And the facts jack: the show is at Luther’s Blues this Saturday. These two mighty bands (and the club, soundman, lightman, doorman, merchman, promoter, etc.) ask of you only 10 George Washington dollars (which is less than you’re gonna pay for beer, if you’re a drinker).

Come on down and check ’em out — word is, the Detroit Cobras have a new EP coming out on Rough Trade called Seven Easy Pieces. It’s officially due out March 10, but why wait? Supposedly limited copies of this 19-minute classic will be for sale at Saturday’s show. See ya there, and don’t forget your dancin’ shoes.

The Detroit Cobras and the Greenhornes play Luther’s Blues this Saturday, March 1, at 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 and are available at all Luther’s Blues ticket outlets. Go to www.luthersblues.com for more information.