Ranting and raving: one last time

The detachment has begun. Sure, I’ll still be assistant editor of MAINTAIN and contribute some reviews to ArtsEtc., but my position is shifting. Writing for ArstEtc. has been one of the best decisions I have made, and it gave me opportunities I would have never dreamed I would have.

It’s still difficult for me to believe that it’s been two-and-a-half years since I began my writing stint at what I am certain is the dominant paper on campus. We don’t exude pseudo-intellectualism; we just tell it like it is, and that’s what I’ve tried to do for the entirety of my ArtsEtc. career.

I still remember cranking out my first reviews, a double whammy of K.D. Lang and Taproot. How’s that for diversity? I admit, it took me a while to hit my stride, but I’m a better writer for it.

I had my missteps along the way — a laudatory review of Limp Bizkit and a few pieces that lacked much effort or passion are not among my proudest accomplishments, but that’s the learning process. I am who I am. I’ve never made any apologies about that and don’t intend to now.

I certainly had my detractors along the way. Angry little neophytes who were mad that the CDs I reviewed were available at your local Best Buy and not the financially distressed asbestos trap you call that indie store around the corner.

I don’t care where my discs come from; my tastes and opinions are genuine. I’m not sifting through the used t-shirts at Ragstock to meticulously craft some artificial façade, nor am I writing about some unknown band that plays cheese graters and rubber bands just to get your attention or approval.

My main intention when I’m writing is to impress myself, and if it happens to find a larger audience, then that’s cool too.

I still say that The Vines and The Hives suck. There are those that love the smug ‘tude of these nutballs, but they don’t have any music to back it up.

Need proof? Where’s the follow-up to “Get Free” for The Vines, and where the hell are The Hives? We were all told that the world was going to reverse its direction because of these bands, and they’re struggling to play club dates with their watered-down melodicism.

Both acts have not achieved what the so-called “elite critics” said they would, and that’s the bottom line. So keep singing “I wanna get free, I wanna get free,” because you can’t spearhead a revolution with one derivative song. So “I Hate To Say I Told You So,” but these are not the bands that we’ve all been waiting for.

If I was stuck on an island and could only bring along four CDs from the past year, it would be an easy choice. Without a doubt, Silverchair put in the best rock album of year. The album shattered every preconceived notion people had of the band, and if you haven’t heard it then you just don’t know.

People will say “Wilco, Wilco, Wilco,” but I bought and listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and it did less for me than a thimble of warm water to quench my thirst after a long workout. Don’t even get me started on the White Stripes, because I’m already getting bored thinking about it.

My second selection and our album-of-the-year pick comes from an artist that I’ve had a wavering appreciation of: Eminem. His album is undeniable. It may cater to frat kids with ski goggles, but it’s a solid collection, and Em is one of the most accessible rappers around for someone who doesn’t listen to a lot of hip-hop.

Coldplay’s latest is getting a lot of attention, as it should. I listened to it on a whim and was blown away by the quality of the record from start to finish. I don’t care for NME, but I’m curious to see how this record translates in the live setting. Count me in for the group’s March concert in Milwaukee.

Finally, the Foo Fighters record is what it should be, a perfect dynamic of quiet and loud. The songs hit the spot. I’m still reeling from the blistering set they unleashed on a small Chicago crowd in October. What a coup getting free tickets to that one was.

“The Sopranos” and “Curb Your Enthusiasm” disappointed me greatly this season. In my book, the only show that consistently delivers is the Fox hit, “24.”

Here’s a show that teases you with a great preview for the following week and then delivers. Major thumbs-up to Kiefer and crew on what has been one of the best action dramas to hit the small screen in some time. Some of the acting may be a bit off, but it beats the hell out of the dissatisfaction of watching “The Sopranos” and hoping that something, anything, would happen.

It’s been an awesome ride, and it’s not over yet. You’ll hear from me in MAINTAIN and from time to time in the Herald. A big thank-you to my fellow editor Nick Marx for helping to keep the ship afloat this semester, as well as Colin Finan for integrating me into the MAINTAIN crew.

Good luck to Molly Webb, who will be your new voice for the ArtsEtc. section. She knows what she’s talking about, and I know she’ll do a great job.

So with that, I close out this fall finale of “Ranting and Raving,” hoping that I left an imprint on this publication this fall and a bit of inspiration for some of you to sit down and begin to articulate your opinions. You don’t need a special wardrobe or fancy vinyl collection to do this; you just need a voice and an appreciation for the art forms that make all of our lives a little more enjoyable.