Bartime at the Oakcrest Tavern: Bill Swerski would be proud

Many of us have probably seen or heard about “Saturday Night Live’s” famous sketch “Bill Swerski’s Superfans,” featuring John Goodman, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, and Joe Mantegna. The scene, if you recall, takes place in a bar, with the guys sitting around a table, drinking beers, eating brats, and talking about the greatness of Mike Ditka and the Chicago Bears.

It is one thing to watch this scene on TV, but it is another to witness it in real life as I did last weekend at the Oakcrest Tavern at the stadium, 1421 Regent St. Much of the dialogue overheard was strikingly similar, the only glaring difference being the subject of conversation — the Badgers and the Packers — as one would expect in a Madison locale.

The Oakcrest has a certain ability to bring out the diehard sports fan in all of us. Perhaps it is the 38 televisions, which can bring in virtually any game on the planet, with at least three sets being visible from any vantage point in the bar. It could be the convenient shuttle bus to and from the Kohl Center for hockey and basketball games. Or maybe it is the courteous service that allows us to focus our attention to rap over sports rather than bitching about a wait for a beer. At any rate, the Oakcrest is manna from the gods for sports junkies and superfans alike.

The mixture of sports and booze can be a combustible combination. It is all too easy to see tempers flare up if the home team is not performing up to par. In Wisconsin, however, we take things in stride, and the atmosphere at the Oakcrest is fun and festive regardless of the outcome.

While the Oakcrest is notorious for its crowds on game days, the bar is by no stretch of the imagination a one-trick pony. It can stand on its own any night of the week.

The specials are a major factor. The Saturday night martini special is by far one of the best deals in the city. For a paltry $2.50, you get your choice of a cosmopolitan, chocolate, or blue raspberry martini, all made with either Smirnoff or Stoli. “We never compromise the quality,” manager Kathy Semenchuk explains.

The specials on other nights are equally tempting. All day Sunday, for example, you can get fresh-squeezed juice drinks such as the Harvey Wallbanger, screwdriver, and fuzzy navel, all for $2.50. Tuesday and Thursday nights feature $2.00 rail drinks, and Wednesday night offers $2.00 Long Islands along with karaoke.

With the winter’s cold grip quickly approaching, perhaps you might be interested in some of Oakcrest’s hot cocktails. Making their seasonal debut next week are the Almond Joy, made with Malibu and hot chocolate, and Oakcrest’s Hot Spiced Cider, made with Sailor Jerry Navy Spiced Rum and hot cider.

Sailor Jerry is a unique rum alternative. Named after a self-proclaimed “world’s most famous tattoo artist,” Sailor Jerry is 92-proof rum with a smooth cherry finish. For $3.25, you can mix it with a Coke, which tastes particularly good.

Oakcrest offers most of its cola-mixed drinks with Pepsi. Most people don’t mind the switch, but connoisseurs of the ever-popular Captain and Coke might miss the caramel taste of the real thing. Ever accommodating, all one needs to do is specifically request Coke instead of Pepsi and your request will be granted.

The Oakcrest aims to please, which in some ways explains its appeal to a diverse cross-section of individuals. While sports are certainly a unifying theme, the bar also happens to be especially popular with engineering students, given its proximity to the west side of campus. Many people also come for the food, which has a reputation as some of the best bar food in the city.

“We have fresh meat delivered every day, and our Friday fish fry of fresh Wisconsin lake perch is especially popular,” Kathy Semenchuk adds.

There are many reasons to visit the Oakcrest. Although it’s a true sports bar, you don’t need sports to enjoy yourself at this friendly and agreeable tavern.

Bartime will venture into the world of Brothers tonight, Friday, Nov. 15, at 11:00 p.m. Brothers is located at the corner of Lake Street and University Avenue. Cheers!