‘Boys’ gone wild

Never quite rising above mediocrity, “The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys,” is the coming-of-age story of four Catholic school boys. Led by charismatic troublemaker Tim (Kieran Culkin, “The Cider House Rules”) and his introspective counterpart Francis (Jake Richardson, “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back”), the four spend their days illustrating a collective comic book and scheming up ways to irritate their strict schoolteacher, Sister Assumpta (a disappointingly mundane Jodie Foster, “Panic Room”).

Their progressively up-the-ante tactics, such as cutting down a telephone line and stealing statues, should land them in juvie, but instead earn them nothing more than a couple scenes of brief punishments. Authority figures, such as the police, seem to not exist in this sunny southern locale, which is also vaguely void of time (mid ’70s? present day?).

The love interest enters by way of Margie, played by Jena Malone (“Donnie Darko”), who, along with Kieran Culkin, outshines the rest of the cast. She and Francis fall into a moody, teenage love, and their hesitant attempts at romance fill the movie’s main subplot.

Their scenes border on touching, but never quite succeed, limited by their clichéd characters which inspire little interest in the viewers. And then just when they’re starting to get somewhere, Margie unveils the inevitable “secret” and poor Francis becomes “troubled,” an emotional state which is indicated by Francis looking like a teen model in a pensive pose.

From here, “Dangerous Lives” spirals away toward its inevitable conclusion, the type of mediocre ending you spot as soon as the characters are developed — in this case, five minutes into the film.

What comes close to saving the movie are the delightful animated sequences done by Todd McFarlane (“Spawn”) as the boys manifest their desires in alter-ego comic book characters that come vividly to life. A great idea unfortunately trapped in an average movie, they nevertheless point toward a better future for first-time director Peter Care.

Given time, his talent for music videos (see various R.E.M. videos) might blossom into something more substantial. However, “Dangerous Lives” does not succeed as a coming-of-age story because it does not invoke any lasting sense of nostalgia, explore any new ground or reinterpret any old themes.

Rather, it continually reminds the viewer of movies which did the same thing, only better. At various times while watching “Dangerous Lives,” one may wish he were wrapped up in “Donnie Darko,” “American Beauty,” “Bottle Rocket” or “Stand by Me.”

The DVD features commentary by Peter Care, an option to watch the animated scenes consecutively with or without commentary by creator Todd McFarlane, (which is a good reason to rent this movie), a making-of featurette and cast and crew interviews.

“The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys” certainly won’t ruin your night, but be sure you leave enough time to throw in something else.

Grade: C

New for Tuesday, Nov. 12: “Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones,” Extended Edition of “The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring,” “The Importance of Being Earnest,” “South Park: The Complete First Season,” and “Bad Company”