Bartime: Camp Randall not the only ‘Stadium’ in town

After a Friday night out, most people want to spend a decent portion of Saturday morning under the sheets. Yet on any given football Saturday in Madison, many of us choose to get out of bed, much earlier than necessary, mind you, shake out the cobwebs from our heads, grab a beer and start the ritualistic party all over again.

Football weekends take on an almost-religious fanaticism. On a football Saturday, you will find the Badger-faithful congregated at the Stadium Bar. The appeal of the bar on a game day is obvious.

First, it is huge and can hold many people inside and outside. Second, the bar knows how to handle the crowd, and drinks are served without too much of a wait, regardless of crowd size. Third, they have excellent brats, a nourishing staple before the game. And finally, you couldn’t get any damn closer to the stadium if you tried. We’re smart, and any unnecessary walking will only diminish our collective Badger buzz.

Known as Jingles from the 1950s until 1996, a name which many old-timers still apply today, the bar holds a significant amount of historical and traditional value.

The bar was originally one of the many corrugated-metal, semi-circular Quonset huts that dotted the entire campus landscape after World War II. These structures were built to accommodate returning veterans, with this building serving as a grocery store before becoming a bar in 1952.

The metal structure was encased in 1987, but many features remain today. Inside the older structure, you can still see the rounded roof and painted metal. Look down at the worn-away concrete floor, and it is evident that this place has the aged character of thousands of Badger fans. It is totally unlike any other bar in the city.

In the fenced-in asphalt parking lot outside, the scene on a football Saturday morning is carnival-like. The throngs of fans decked out in red are ready to party before kickoff. There are lots of high-fives, toasts to the sound of aluminum cans and friendly conversation among comrades. The occasional visitor wearing the colors of an opposing team is more than likely to be the recipient of some good-natured hazing.

Beer is the breakfast of champions on these mornings. The prices on game days are inflated, but the spirits are high. For $3.25, you can get domestic cans of Miller, Budweiser, Coors, or Leinenkugel’s products. Seeking maximum efficiency with a large order, the staff will kindly place the cans in their own handy carrying case — which turns out to actually be the cardboard case of their origin.

It is an amazing sight to see people walking around in the morning light, handing out beers to their friends straight from the box, especially when it is at a bar and not some tailgate or house party.

The Stadium Bar is no stranger to large gatherings. According to manager Jay Radzinski, the bar will go through 700 to 900 cases of beer, and over 4,000 people will attend the bar at some point in time during the day. “It all depends on the team, start time and weather,” he added.

The fun doesn’t stop at the Stadium Bar after the opening kickoff. Due to its game-like atmosphere, the bar is has long been known as an excellent place to watch the game for those without tickets, and the party keeps on going after the game, as well.

The stress of a close game, combined with a lack of frothy refreshment inside Camp Randall, brings the crowds back to the bar at the conclusion of the game. Yet again, the Stadium Bar wins the convenience battle hands down.

Not a one-trick pony, the bar is very busy during summer months. The only bar on campus with a beach volleyball court, the Stadium Bar’s volleyball leagues are extremely popular. Only able to handle 80 teams during the summer and about 16 games per night, entrance into the league is nearly impossible. Like Packer tickets, for all practical purposes somebody has to either die or move out of town to open up a coveted spot.

When the football game is over, the bar settles down. Offering great specials such as $1.00 burgers and $1.00 bottles of Miller or Budweiser products Tuesday and Wednesday nights and $2.00 Captain Cokes Friday nights, the Stadium Bar is a cost-effective escape from the craziness of other bars.

Next time you walk by the Stadium Bar before or after a game, don’t be intimidated by the crowd. Instead, walk in and soak up the atmosphere with your fellow Badgers. Regardless of the actual outcome, you will still have a good time in true Wisconsin fashion.

>Bartime will settle down for a few cocktails at the Opus Lounge tonight, Friday, Oct. 11, at 11:30pm. The Opus is located at 116 King St., right off the Capitol Square. Cheers!